Fiamm Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiamm Horn

I plan on installing a Fiamm auto horn on my GFs 81GS650GL. Anybody see a problem with this? I intend to use the original wiring.

If you put it on and it wont work, you will need to install a relay for it. Bike horns don't take much current unlike the auto ones which are considerably louder, and more current-hungry. :twisted:

Comment

I rode all winter with a Fiamm freeway blaster and it worked well. When I went to the car wash I recked it and I didn't even spray directly at it...

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
        I rode all winter with a Fiamm freeway blaster and it worked well. When I went to the car wash I recked it and I didn't even spray directly at it...
        Steve
        Steve, I've had twin Fiamms mounted on my bike for almost 20 years....after the first couple of times being inattentive with the hose while washing the bike I've learned to be very careful. I have also mounted the units so the horns point down (and forward) so that they can drain any water splash.....doesn't affect the perceived sound output since the road surface is a great acoustic reflector.

BTW, vstan, the Fiamm units came with a relay which I switch with the original horn circuitry. I routed heavy duty wiring (with own fuse) from the battery through the relay to the horns to handle the heavy current draw. Never have had a problem with this setup, except the original Fiamm relay wore out and I replaced it with an auto unit.

Simon

Comment

I don't have a choice on where I can mount the horn. It is like trying to put an elephant on a tricycle... Even where it is it hits my front fender.

Steve

Comment

Well, I'm installing a single Freeway Blaster and will start by using the original wiring. If that doesn't work, I'll install a relay set-up.
            Thanks to all for your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by VStan
              Well, I'm installing a single Freeway Blaster and will start by using the original wiring. If that doesn't work, I'll install a relay set-up.
              Thanks to all for your responses.

Check your fuses before doing anything!

I tried installing Fiamms on my bike last year, without a relay, and discovered they are guaranteed to blow your normal 10 amp fuses.

It's not just the horn draw, which is high, but also the tiny wires you have to push the current through.

Your wiring harness links at the fuse block with a thin wire (18 AWG) but then has several internal splices, at one of which it becomes 22AWG for your horns.

This wire is not good for a 10 ampere-plus draw and will overheat quickly, and the splices only serve to reduce the capacity.

You really MUST have a relay, and a separate in-line fuse.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the heads up. Wiring is no problem for me, I'll install a relay and fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Waters
                  Originally posted by srivett
                  Steve
                  Steve, I've had twin Fiamms mounted on my bike for almost 20 years....after the first couple of times being inattentive with the hose while washing the bike I've learned to be very careful. I have also mounted the units so the horns point down (and forward) so that they can drain any water splash.....doesn't affect the perceived sound output since the road surface is a great acoustic reflector.

BTW, vstan, the Fiamm units came with a relay which I switch with the original horn circuitry. I routed heavy duty wiring (with own fuse) from the battery through the relay to the horns to handle the heavy current draw. Never have had a problem with this setup, except the original Fiamm relay wore out and I replaced it with an auto unit.

Simon
                  Picked up a set of Fiamms this morning and just finished fitting them after work. Now that's better!

Comment

The Fiamm I bought didn't come with a relay. I just went out and got a universal horn/light relay. My GF is really happy with the sound compared to what she had. In fact, she almost competes with my air horns NOT

Comment

Working...
                    X