Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which carbs for GSX1100SXZ?

Hello to everyone at GS Resources,
    Although I have owned GS and GSX's for many years I have only recently discovered this great site. Thank you to all that keep it running and those providing advice and help for our old school GS/GSXs. I would like to know what carbs were fitted to the Australian GSX1100SXZ Katana models. Suzuki allocated chassis numbers between GS110X-100388 and GS110X101324 to the "Australian Bathurst model Katana". These should not be confused with the NZ and South African models as they had different specs to the Australian Bathurst model.

Australian GSX1100SXZ Kat's built in Japan from late 1981 into 1982 had wire wheels - 19 inch front and 18 inch rear however, I would like to know which carbs were fitted to this model? I have seen 34mm Mikuni CV and 32mm slide carbs fitted to 1100 Kats with the chassis number between those listed above. These are genuine 1100 (1074 really) motors and not the 1000cc (998cc) production racer bikes built in Japan which did have the slide carbs fitted as did the NZ hot machines with their braided lines and 4 into one pipes and no doubt other secret sqirrel gear that made them so good, still waiting for one to turn up, fat chance.

Anyway back to the question, does anyone know which carbs should be on the Bathurst model SXZ 1100 Kat?

Cheers,

Shin-Ken 1074
    Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
    Shin-Ken 1074
    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

The SXZ is NOT!!! the "Bathurst" special, it was an option on the SZ, the "X" means wire wheels. The carbs are stock CV's as per any other GSX1100SZ. Mikuni BS34SS to be specific. Welcome to "The Forum" a couple of links for you, http://groups.msn.com/KATANAAUSTRALIA & http://suzuki-katana.net

Dink

Comment

Also be sure to check out www.katanacentral.co.uk They have a bunch of very knowledgeable folks there...

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. Shin-Ken 1074,

Let it be known that on this day you are cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Further let it be known that your good standing can be improved with pictures (not you, your bike)! :grin:

I don't know if these resources will be necessary for you, but I like to remind all the new members. In addition to the carb rebuild series, I recommend visiting the garage section via the GSR Hompage and check out the Stator Papers. There's also a lot of great information in the Old Q&A section. I have some documentation on my little BikeCliff website to help you get with doing routine maintenance tasks (note that it is 850G-specific but many tasks are common to all GS bikes). Other "user contributed" informational sites include those of Mr. bwringer, Mr. tfb and Mr. robertbarr.

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed of your progress. There's lots of good folk with good experience here.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
          The SXZ is NOT!!! the "Bathurst" special, it was an option on the SZ, the "X" means wire wheels. The carbs are stock CV's as per any other GSX1100SZ. Mikuni BS34SS to be specific. Welcome to "The Forum" a couple of links for you, http://groups.msn.com/KATANAAUSTRALIA & http://suzuki-katana.net

Dink
          Ummm i think you will find the 1100sxz was a one off production of 20 bikes build for racing in the early 80s to take part in outings in the super bike races. While there was a variant in australia and south Africa that had the wire wheels that was the only mod. These bikes had been gone over and upgraded throughout the bike.

Poster 1. I do not know enough about the bike to go that far in but i will send the thread to sombody who knows

Comment

Hi Dink,
            Thanks for the reply on the wire wheel option with the X code. What prompted my question about the carbs for the 1100 was Suzuki via Hamamatsu advised that the chassis/frame numbers quoted in my initial post had some degreee of modification. These 936 units may or may not include the same mods for each market . Also compounding the issue is the Suzuki Service Manual 750S,1000S,1100S ( part number 99501-37000-01E) list three different sets of carbs for the 1100S:

Mikuni BS34SS I.D. number 49250 CV type,
            Mikuni BS34SS I.D. number 49260 CV type, and
            Mikuni VM32SS I.D. number 49320 slide type.

So does this mean it is possable there are 32mm slide carbs fitted to 1100S Kats out there, I hope so, or am I reading the manual incorrectly? Anyway food for thought.

Your Advice about bleeding the brakes works, always had that problem with mine as well, cheers.

Shin-Ken 1074
            Shin-Ken 1074
            1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Hi McDuck5,
              Thanks for the links have them on board now. Your right about the production race models however these were fractory GSX1000S and quite a few were produced for world wide production racing. Suzuki built a very limited number ( 20 is one number quoted and I've also seen this as high as 75 examples) of genuine race Kats. By all accounts it seems the E27 Kats for NZ had specs not made for any other market, lucky lucky NZ.

Shin-Ken 1074
              Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Hi BassCliff,
                Thank you for the warm welcome, glad to be involved with people keeping the pre-chip Suzukis on the road. Will get on to the links you provided, it all helps. Photos of the Kat will certainly be forthcoming, just not for a while. Having been a daily ride for many years and the third owner she is looking very tired right now. Once the ravages of time and miles have been erased or at least covered up I'll have some photos to post, cheers.

Shin-Ken 1074
                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Hi Smokinapankake,
                  Have been on Katana Central they have a good site, there some images of GSX1100SXZ Kats in the "Your Kats" section, hmmm very nice.

Shin-Ken 1074
                  Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

They did make the 1100 racers to... (i have sat on one) very nice bikes. I wish i had one...

Comment

Hi shin-ken
                      just wondering is there any particular reason you need this info ? what carbs are fitted to your bike ? what size ? slides CV's ? yes there's a reason for all the daft questions :-D

btw as far as i'm aware the 1000 kat was the one imported to the uk for racing homologation :-D

Comment

Yeah, would like one of those 1100's too! As a guess are you in the States (time on post) ? Was the 1100 racer a factory model in the USA?
                        Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Hi Tone,
                          Have the E24 Australian GSX1100SXZ, 1074cc block, wire wheels 19" front, 18" rear, Mikuni 34mm CV carbs can't remember their I.D. number right now, the rest looks like your standard 1100 Kat apart from rear shocks, headers and muffler they were replaced once the originals through the towel in.
                          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
                            As a guess are you in the States (time on post) ?
                            nope i'm in the uk (also on post) :-D:-D:-D

Comment

As has already been alluded to, the E27 (N.Z. spec) Wire Wheel had a number of differences to the Australian version. They also had braided front brake hoses, different front calipers, different cams, an extra set of plates in the clutch, slide carbs (dual throttle cables), and mufflers with a larger output hole than standard. They were rated to produce 120hp - pretty heady stuff for that era. Twenty were made at the Hammamatsu plant and sent to N.Z. in order have them eligible for entry in the 1982 N.Z. Castrol 6 Hour race which Suzuki wanted to win back from Honda who won it the previous year on the CB1100R. They did win the title back - however, it was on a 750 Katana (piloted by Dave and Neville Hiscock).

My one was originally raced by Neville Hiscock and Robert Holden, both of whom were killed racing (Neville in South Africa in 1984 and Robert at the Isle of Man in 1996).
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2008, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X