Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gear indicator light stays on

81 gs550L

4th gear light stays on. all of the time.

is this suzuki code for a self-destruction countdown sequence?

plus it kinda runs ****ty in 4th...
    could be unrelated

Comment

Couple of possibilities. The display works by having all the bulbs powered, then grounding them one at a time through the selector sensor on shifter mechanism.

1. Look under the shifter cover on the left side. You will see where the gear selector wiring is attached. Remove it, clean all the contacts, make sure there is no gunk that is shorting out the pin for #4.

2. Follow the wiring harness up to the display. Examine any multi-pin connector you find on the way, make sure all connections are good and there are no breaks in the wire that can short to the frame. Follow the indicator harness all the way to the display, you might even want to take the display apart to make sure there is nothing shorting #4 to ground.

Last edited by Steve; 02-04-2008, 02:15 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

awesome. that's what i was hoping for.

Comment

I haven't fixed the short yet, but the bike runs REALLY bad in 4th gear and 4th gear only. I'll fix this and see if it remains, but it honestly seems like the short is so strong that there isn't enough fire to the coils to ignite combustion.

We'll see how everything rolls after I fix the short. OR just unplug the indicator completely. I can count.

Comment

Working...
          X