Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a 1 amp charger overcharge a battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a 1 amp charger overcharge a battery?

My battery died and I bought a new one. I have it hooked up to a 1 amp charger. I don't have a battery tender. Can I ruin or overcharge the battery by leaving it hooked up to the 1 amp charger while it sits in the garage waiting for the next ride during the winter? I ride about once a month during the winter.

Yes i believe so. If the device does not self regulate ( like the Battery Tender) it can boil the fluid right out of the battery as it is continually pushing a charge to the battery. With this type, you need to charge for 5 to 6 hours max then let the battery sit for a few weeks then repeat.

Depending on the manufacturer, these types of chargers can also be a safety hazard as they can over heat and cause a fire. It almost happened to me but luckily the charger self destructed before bursting into flame.

Just be careful with it and it should be fine.

Cheers,
    Spyug.

Comment

I would just charge it once a month for a couple hours. Continuous charging can ruin a good battery.

Comment

My batteries sit in my utility room over the winter. I also have a constant 1 amp charger. The way I tend them is to check voltage on them every week or so until the indicated voltage trickles down to 12.4v, then I charge for a few hours until voltage is back up to 13.3v with the charger removed. Then I just let them sit until indicated voltage trickles back down to 12.4v, which usually takes about three or four weeks.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Just stop being such a cheapskate and get yourself a Battery Tender, and stop worrying so much.

Comment

The instructions with my battery said to charge it at not more than 1/2 ampere. I actually used a "wall wart" that ran at about 150 mA and let it run for a couple of days. It worked fine.
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
              My batteries sit in my utility room over the winter. I also have a constant 1 amp charger. The way I tend them is to check voltage on them every week or so until the indicated voltage trickles down to 12.4v, then I charge for a few hours until voltage is back up to 13.3v with the charger removed. Then I just let them sit until indicated voltage trickles back down to 12.4v, which usually takes about three or four weeks.
              i love you vigilance. you the man. you got it right!! don't let em talk ya out of it.

Comment

You can try harborfreight.com I picked up 2 automatic float chargers from them this fall for $4.99 each. So far they are working great. They have been running since Nov and the price is hard to beat.

Comment

Lamp timer

Got a lamp timer? I used one on model airplanes with good results. Set it to come on for one hour a day, Hope that helps.
                  See Ya,
                  Buddy
                  09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
                  83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
                  81 GS650G for the wife.
                  82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
                  I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
                  If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
                  Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

hey skip, i am living proof that a one amp charger can ruin a battery (or two). i had planned on charging my batteries an hour or two every couple weeks but then i forgot about them and left them plugged in for a couple days. yes, i wasn't happy frying one and went ahead and fried the other also. so, i bought a battery tender. if you can remember that you have to unhook them the charger's probably fine. i'm not wired that way i guess.
                    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                    82 gs1100L probably the next project
                    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
                    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jay66 View Post
                      You can try harborfreight.com I picked up 2 automatic float chargers from them this fall for $4.99 each. So far they are working great. They have been running since Nov and the price is hard to beat.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292
                      Another good choice is the Schumacher charger/maintainer available at Wal-Mart. I saw one there just a couple of nights ago for $18.44. I have one of them and two more just like it, but they have Die Hard labels from Sears on their faces. All are working well. \\/

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Another good choice is the Schumacher charger/maintainer available at Wal-Mart. I saw one there just a couple of nights ago for $18.44. I have one of them and two more just like it, but they have Die Hard labels from Sears on their faces. All are working well. \\/.
                        I have that same wal-mart charger, bought for under $20. Working great so far!
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                          Just stop being such a cheapskate and get yourself a Battery Tender, and stop worrying so much.
                          Unfortunatly money is tight and I have to pick and choose what I spend mine on. I just bought a battery and that is my bike allowance for a while. I still need some other stuff for the bike that is a higher prority like a clutch. I will be happy to except donations from worry free big spenders like yourself Crampa

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy View Post
                            Got a lamp timer? I used one on model airplanes with good results. Set it to come on for one hour a day, Hope that helps.
                            See Ya,
                            Buddy
                            This will work if the charger is isolated. (uses a diode)
                            Some chargers (the harbor freight cheapy for example) don't use a diode, and will discharge the battery if connected to the battery and not to power.

Comment

Originally posted by skip View Post
                              My battery died and I bought a new one. I have it hooked up to a 1 amp charger. I don't have a battery tender. Can I ruin or overcharge the battery by leaving it hooked up to the 1 amp charger while it sits in the garage waiting for the next ride during the winter? I ride about once a month during the winter.
                              Unregulated trickle chargers WILL kill a battery.

There are 2 acceptable ways to store a battery.

1) Fully charge it, and then put it on a float charger which provides a regulated float voltage (like the battery tender)

2) Fully charge it, and then top up the charge every month or two.

Riding for half an hour or more counts as topping up the charge \\/

If you don't ride for more than 2 months, then put it on the charger for a couple of hours, and then disconnect it for 2 more months.

Comment

Working...
                              X