Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a 1 amp charger overcharge a battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being called a cheapskate by Grandpa was his way to shame you into getting a tender. :-D
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Being called a cheapskate by Grandpa was his way to shame you into getting a tender. :-D
      Exactly, Chef. If Skip wants to keep a battery charged in a worry-free manner, he should stop moaning and get himself a Battery Tender or equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by skip View Post
        Unfortunatly money is tight and I have to pick and choose what I spend mine on. I just bought a battery and that is my bike allowance for a while. I still need some other stuff for the bike that is a higher prority like a clutch. I will be happy to except donations from worry free big spenders like yourself Crampa
        No, thanks, Skip.

Worry-free, big spender, Battery Tender owner Grandpa

Comment

Bought a Black & Decker trickle charger at Wally World for less than $20 and it shuts off when the battery is fully charged. It has worked great so far.

Comment

Skip,

There are a couple things you can do to make your battery charger be more gentle to your battery. One is to splice a small 12 volt light bulb in series with one of the battery leads. Something like an automotive dash light works well. This will drop the current to a much lower level (you can check it with an ammeter).

Another is to plug the battery charger into an electric garage door opener light circuit. You can get an adapter that screws into the garage door light socket to add electrical outlets, like this for just a couple bucks. Plug the battery charger into the outlet and the battery will charge for a few minutes each time the garage door is opened or closed.

Thanks,
            Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post

Another is to plug the battery charger into an electric garage door opener light circuit. You can get an adapter that screws into the garage door light socket to add electrical outlets, like this for just a couple bucks. Plug the battery charger into the outlet and the battery will charge for a few minutes each time the garage door is opened or closed.
              This is a kicksass idea.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X