Screw removal help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screw removal help

Any ideas on how to get a screw out from my right hand controls? It's one of the 2 screws that clamps the plastic control module to the handlebar. Here's what I tried so far...
    - screw driver (duh)
    - Impact driver (no luck...only rounded the screw more)
    - drilled with 7/64's bit about 3/8 in deep, then tried a screw extractor for that bit size...it just spun in there.

Any ideas?

Grab the next size larger bit and continue to drill out just the "head" portion of the screw...maybe 1/8" deep or so. Repeat this process until the head of the screw spins itself onto the the bit. Remove clamp and get your vice grips out.

Comment

Where would I clamp the vice grips on at? I think the screw is completly surrounded by plastic accept for the head...which is recessed into plastic. Thanks!

Comment

Can't you split the clamps, once the head (s) are off the screws?

Comment

Nice! That's a good idea to try. As long as I don't mess up the threads though.

Comment

Originally posted by khardrunner14 View Post
            Nice! That's a good idea to try. As long as I don't mess up the threads though.
            You should be fine...as long as you only drill to the depth of the head. I don't think that there are any threads in the head side of the clamp, anyway.

Comment

It's me again, use left hand "drill bits"
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yeah I tried the left handed screw extractor, but for some odd reason unbeknownst to me it just spun in there.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  It's me again, use left hand "drill bits"
                  HZe is actually refering to a drill bit that is designed to cut counter clock wise versus clockwise. I have used them before & they tend to work well. You can usually spin the screw loose with one as it bites the material. Also, you may want to try & spraying the screw with a freezing agent to get it to contract in the fixture or possibly applying a minimal amount of heat to the fixture to break them apart a bit. Good luck

Comment

I'm not sure about your hand grip but what worked for me on the recessed bolts at the bottom of my forks was to just dill off the head and remove the cap then you can clamp on to the threaded part that should be protruding from the reciever side of the clamp and remove the threaded portion of the screw. If the threads are already stipped you'll have to retap them or replace the clamp.

Comment

If the extractor spun in there it was bottomed out & you didn't drill the hole deep enough. Ray.

Comment

Dave is correct, I had mine apart not too long ago and the threads are only on the receiver side. You should be able to drill the head off without getting into the plastic if you are careful. I replaced mine with stainless allen heads.
                        82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                        AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Thanks guys! I went home, popped the control off and the head of the screw just fell off. I guess I drilled it enough I didn't even have to try. Either way it's out though. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                          X