Removing Idle Mix Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Idle Mix Screws

OK, anybody got a magic formula for removing idle mix scews from CV carbs? I've got 2 broken "easy"-outs that have rendered 2 carbs useless. I've got another set that have the screws actually glued in (you can see the glue in the threads). Needless to say they won't budge. Any ideas?

...why not?

I have not tried this, but if the carbs are junk, you may want to do a " hmmmm...let's just see" test. Throw the whole carb or what's left of it into the carb cleaner and let it soak. The screws are brass, so it wont hurt them, the o-rings may dissolve (GREAT), may loosen the glue...what can it hurt on a junk carb?

Comment

hmm....
      high explosives.

Comment

Not sure this is applicable but once had a dickens of a time getting the slides loose in some VM carbs - pushed so hard I started to damage the slide. Soaking in carb dip wasn't getting it even after several hours. Took a heat gun to the carb body and the slide slid out under it's own weight. I was stunned. In my case the varnish formed a glue thus locking the parts together. Not sure if this is the same thing as what you are experiencing but putting a little heat on the carb body couldn't hurt.

Good luck.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My usual trick is to take the carbs to bits as much as possible and boil in an old saucepan with a drop, and just a drop, of washing up liquid. Note use an old pan as you'll taint the metal with petrol and your food will taste of it for evermore!
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I had some stuck screws and after ruining one carb body I took them to a machinest friend who got them out in minutes. If you haven't buggered the threads with the two broken EZ-outs they should be able to remove those also. He used a drill press with a lefty bit and a counterclockwise motion.
            A man is only as good as his tools :-D
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

PB Blaster & a heat gun have helped me remove a few of those impossibly stuck screws in the past. Don't rush it, and with a bit of patience & perserverence you may have success.

If not go with chef's suggestion & bring it to a reputable machine shop before you end up throwing them at the dog!

Good luck - mike
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Kroil, heat and the left hand drill bit is a big help.
                Easy outs should have another name!

Comment

Thanks for the pointers guys. Whoever invented easy outs should have a rusty meat hook thrust through his privates.

Comment

Working...
                  X