29 smoothies on GS750 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

29 smoothies on GS750 questions

I landed a set of 29mm Smoothbores for my 77- 750.
    Standard jetting per Sudco for the 750 & 1000 is:

115main
    25 pilot
    5DL31-3 jet needle
    .9 air jet
    .6 needle jet

I have a Jardine 4-1 & pods - will I need a 130 main jet & the same pilot, or since this carb flows much better will the changes be even greater?

I am just looking for a baseline to get me started as I rebuild them.

Maybe these will just be overkill too, so if you think I won't see any benefit for the headaches I am about to endure then tell me that too.

Thanks,
    Kurt

I dont have any info now, but I have a set of vm29's coming in the mail from ebay for my 79 gs750 with pods and v&h header with yoshi pipe. I will be doing some jetting to so I will keep posted.

Comment

I was watching those to see how much the went for. You've been looking for a while.. congrats

Comment

Yeah, got them for $350. The week before I was bidding on a set for $425 and got outbid. So I saved a few bucks.

Comment

do you have stock cams in that bike?

115 might be a touch lean.

small increases up to or about 126 mains might be the fattest you'll need to go

maybe depending on humidity (those carbs are effected by humidity more than temperature) it'll fluxuate a little
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Well Im running 115 mains in my 26mm's now and 20 pilots. I think I will start with 125 mains and 22.5 pilot on my 29mm's.

Comment

I got my carbs today and decided to take them apart and take a look. There pretty clean buts theres just a few pieces I wanted to replace. Bowl screws, gaskets, jets, etc. After about a half hour on www.z1enterprises.com, I managed to rack up a $190 bill of parts including a new pingel petcock. I got the carbs soaking downstairs. So hopefully I can get these back together this weekend.

Comment

I'll get mine torn apart next week. I already have misc jets, new jet needles & new floats, but have to order new gaskets, o-rings, etc..

Comment

I have them on my bike now, I have started tuning them last night. The problem is I have 22.5 pilot jets and on idle, The air screws have to be all the way in to get the highest idle. So does this mean I need to go up in size on pilots?

Comment

yes that is good for the next step. but there is another tuning factor to consider before spending money on a set of pilots.

just in case the bigger pilot does not help.

next I'd check the synchronization for how high the vacuum level is.

equalizing all 4 carbs is one thing and it is all you need to do on CV carbs, however mechanical slides can be adjusted for a specific vacuum pressures

just remember no less than 15 cm at idle!!

some bikes run good at 20~23 cm and others need to be set a little higher at 24~28cm at idle

this is where the slide cutaway has an active part of the pilot circuit mixture.

the mercury gauges are easy to read but dials work good to. cm is the height in centimeters. Hg is another way they measure it

tuning is science good luck bro
                    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Well, I'm about 3 weeks behind on this now, but I have almost everything to rebuild these. Unfortunately, the PO managed to monkey up one of the pilot jets and strip the head trying to remove it....... BAD, but we'll manage to extract it.

I need one more gasket & can't find it though. There is a gasket (#88 on the Sudco exploded view) that fits under the Jet Block (#87 on the Sudco exploded view). Mine are totally disinegrated & Sudco does not show them as available. I can't even tell what they were made of.

Hopefully, someone knows of a source for these. Or, if anyone knows what these were originally made of, please tell, because I am probably going to have to make these myself.

Comment

i thought sudco still had them, you might just have to call. i think thats where i got mine. i still haven't installed them, i ended up just using a peice of newspaper, was the same thickness and just cut out gaskets with a exacto knife to fit in there. i used a red hot peice of wire to burn the little hole that was needed thats in front of the needle hole. I have run the bike atleast 3000 miles so far and runs and starts quick.
                        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x
                        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
                          Well, I'm about 3 weeks behind on this now, but I have almost everything to rebuild these. Unfortunately, the PO managed to monkey up one of the pilot jets and strip the head trying to remove it....... BAD, but we'll manage to extract it.

I need one more gasket & can't find it though. There is a gasket (#88 on the Sudco exploded view) that fits under the Jet Block (#87 on the Sudco exploded view). Mine are totally disinegrated & Sudco does not show them as available. I can't even tell what they were made of.

Hopefully, someone knows of a source for these. Or, if anyone knows what these were originally made of, please tell, because I am probably going to have to make these myself.
                          Part #002-535 $3.71 ea. They are still available, I think. I bought some about 6 months ago. They are made of paper from what I can tell. I'll find them and post a pic.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Wheww, I was worried after the Berryman's didn't break her loose, but after soaking the carb with the stuck pilot in some S-100 for a day, the pilot came right out.:-D....

Reno, you say these gasket things are paper? And $3.71? This must be some kind of paper! Are they something I can make myself?

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
                              Wheww, I was worried after the Berryman's didn't break her loose, but after soaking the carb with the stuck pilot in some S-100 for a day, the pilot came right out.:-D....

Reno, you say these gasket things are paper? And $3.71? This must be some kind of paper! Are they something I can make myself?
                              Well, they sure look like paper! But they must be made of something special.... you would think normal paper would deteriorate after a short time. I'd bite the bullet and buy them instead of worrying if your homemade ones will hold up.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
                              X