No announcement yet.

29 smoothies on GS750 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reno, any idea why these things are even in there? The main jet screws into the bottom of the block and I can't figure out what they even "gasket". Seems like something to keep grunge from building up in there, but I guess that begs the question " how does the grunge get in there to begin with?"

Thanks for the pic

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
      Reno, any idea why these things are even in there? The main jet screws into the bottom of the block and I can't figure out what they even "gasket". Seems like something to keep grunge from building up in there, but I guess that begs the question " how does the grunge get in there to begin with?"

Thanks for the pic
      I have no idea what they are for. All I can assume is they are just there as a barrier between the block and carb body to prevent metal to metal contact? I know the original ones that were in my set were still there even after dipping... I had to gently scrape them out with a piece of wood.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Okay, the Smoothies are rebuilt and on the bike.. My initial jetting is 25 pilots and 130 mains with air screws 1 turn out. Turning the air screws from 1/2 to 2 turns doesn't do anything, so I don't know if that means I am spot on or need to go down to 22.5 pilots.. I suspect I am a bit rich, but it starts well with full choke and after less than a minute I can press the choke off and it holds a real steady idle at 1000rpm. When warm or after sitting for 1/2 hour it starts perfectly.

I think my main jet is too large as it bogs down under full throttle. No, I am not just cracking the throttle-- - it bogs when running about 2500 rpm and quickly, but smoothly going WFO.

I spoke to Z1 yesterday (thank you for the advice).. he thought I might need the smaller pilots, but not to worry if the 25's are working well.

I do notice the throttle hanging a bit at times.. I am sure I have no air leak and my boots and o-rings are brand new. I would think this indicates lean, but that is doubtful. Any thoughts??

Comment

Do some plug chops at min. throttle, 1/3, and WOT. Your plugs should tell all. If you have pods, make sure you don't over oil them... that could cause a bog down at WOT (ask me how I know).
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Im running 22.5 pilot now and 117.5 main on my gs750 with pods and 4-1 exhaust. The main jet is perfect but the 22.5 pilots seem a bit to rich. The lower rpm range is running a bit rich but once you get to wot open throttle above 5,000 rpm The bike takes off and I start to slide off my seat.

If you throttle is hanging, take the return spring from a set of vm26 carbs and put it on the 29's. Mine was at first because the 29's spring was softer than the spring on the 26's.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2008, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X