steady-on right turn signal fix needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steady-on right turn signal fix needed

i have an 82 GS850GL, a great bike for certain. I've kept it clean, no modifications, though I replaced the stator/reg-rec about 5 years ago. No problems since then.

on my last ride before WI winter set in, the self-canceling right turn signal when activated simply stays on. (Left one is OK.) Reading other 'turn signal' threads didn't make much sense to me for i am not electrically inclined, but from what i gather, it appears to be a straight-forward, inexpensive fix. For someone with no electrical experience, where do i start? I know my way around the bike with the help of my Clymer manual, and i would rather not have to pay someone to do it. Help most appreciated!

~patrick

OK, you can start by verifying that both, the front and rear signals, come on. If one of them is burned out or has had the bulb replaced with an incorrect bulb, there will not be enough current to activate the flasher.

Make sure the signal lights are well-grounded.

There is a possibility that it is the control unit, and those things are scarce, if you want to maintain the self-cancelling feature. I am told that there is a work-around to eliminate it, but I have not had to do that yet.

It appears that today is your lucky day. Here is one on eBay for just over $20, including shipping. \\/
    Here is another one for just over $29.
    Another one for $44.
    (all of these are "Buy It Now", so prices will not be changing)

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

both front and rear of the right signal come on steady; the left operates normally. once spring time rolls around (i have it stored sans battery), i understand checking the ground would be the first thing to do .. how do i do that exactly?

(doesn't bother me if it is self-canceling or not .. i am usually very aware if they are on.)

Comment

OK, the fact that both lights come on indicates that you at least have some ground for each light. Bsically, follow the wires from the light. In the front lights, there will be two wires, one of them likely has a large ring terminal on it and is fastened to the mounting stem. The other wire will go to its power source inside the headlight bucket. Loosen the nut and re-tighten it to make sure the terminal is biting into fresh metal for a good electrical connection. At the rear, it's pretty much the same idea, but the ground wire might go to the signal mount or it might go to a ground wire connection under the seat. Either way, make sure the connections are clean and tight. You will also want to check the bulb connection in the socket. Sometimes there is a bit of corrosion there that will mess up operation.

While you are playing with the light bulbs, try something just for the 'fun' of it. Swap the bulbs from left-to-right and right-to-left. Besides cleaning up the connection in the socket, you will be able to see if the bulbs themselves are causing the problem. If you swap the bulbs and find that now the left side doesn't work, the bulbs are the problem.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for the quick responses and tips, I will definitely start here!

Now to wait out winter .. Milwaukee is getting 8-12" of the white stuff tonight. The waiting is the hardest part like Tom Petty use to sing.

Comment

99% of all my turn signal woes have been bad connections or bad grounds.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X