Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding on a bike with intact electrical system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding on a bike with intact electrical system.

I can't find the thread now but a few days back someone was having a problem getting a nut or was it a bolt out of the frame. Many good ideas were presented and one of the other members suggested welding a socket to the nut and using a ratchet to torque it off.

At the time, I mentioned that I had heard welding on a bike with an electrical system in place was not a good idea for fear of frying components.

The same issue came up on the XS Forum today and the electrical guru verified what I thought. You stand a very good chance of destroying the battery,regulator and rectifiers along with TCI or CDI boxes. In more modern bikes with Power commanders and anti theft devices and alarms, these too can be toasted. depending where the weld is made, you might even short out the stator.

At a very minimum, I would think you should pull the battery, TCI and any other electronic modules you run. It might also be a good idea to drain carbs and remove the gas tank to a safe location. Gas vapours are known to go kaboom in the presence of spark.

Just something else to think about.

Stay safe.
    Spyug

Put me down as one of the lucky ones that got away with it then. My side stand mount nuts stripped out (PO's fault?), and they're in a cage on the frame. So, I had to weld the side stand bracket to the frame.

Anyhow, we clamped onto the frame right next to where we were welding. That probably saved the electrics. If you have to clamp far from where you are welding, there would be a good chance that the welding current might pass through something sensitive. It could be very difficult to predict with any certainty.

Disconnecting the battery, ground and popping the fuses out is probably a really good idea as a minimum, but still not a guarantee. A TIG has some high-frequency stuff going on that could cook electronics, even if there isn't a path all the way through the component. I think there are AC welding modes that could do something similar on MIG and stick welders.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

YES!!! definetely take off the gas tank, and drain the carbs....taking them off might be the better choice. In the past all I have done is disconnect the battery and the electrical system works just fine, ofcourse I didn't have the carbs on the bike. I would hate to see my bike or hear about anybody else's catching fire.

Comment

I've done it. I disconnect the battery, pull the fuses, and disconect the harness to the cdi. I also put the ground clamp close to the weld.

Comment

I do this all the time :-D i just remove the battery & put it somewhere safe cos the gas it gives off is explosive, the same with the tank, & anything that might burn or get splattered i either remove or cover but i see no need to remove the harness reg rec or cdi (though i usually unplug them)

no problems yet in 27 years ! \\/

Comment

Thanks all, very timely post for me. I've been working up to a little welding on a running project bike now for some time, just minor stuff like broken off brackets, and wondered about that. Remove it if it can explode and unplug it if it's expensive and electric seems to be the way.
            Regards,
            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
              I do this all the time :-D i just remove the battery & put it somewhere safe cos the gas it gives off is explosive, the same with the tank, & anything that might burn or get splattered i either remove or cover but i see no need to remove the harness reg rec or cdi (though i usually unplug them)

no problems yet in 27 years ! \\/
              Spot on Tone. Unplug the electrics (ie: remove battery) and isolate fuel from any sparks and your good to go. I am a trained and qualified body repairer and have welded everything from bikes to semi trailers. No probs as long as you are careful.

A good way to islate the fuel system (carbs, lines etc) is often to just wrap them up in wet towels. Any sparks that him them are immediately extinguished.

Comment

Working...
              X