Looking for head gasket replacement instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for head gasket replacement instructions

I have a 1981 GS1000 with a blown head gasket. I have a friend who is mechanically inclined, but hasn't worked on bikes. Does anyone have step by step intructions and a recommended parts list? I have read some past threads about this and I know I need to replace the base gasket too, but any others recommended while I am in there? Any pitfalls I should watch for and/or tricks you can pass along?

This is my first bike and I got it last Fall. The gasket went on my second ride and I can't find a mechanic who will touch it (because it's so old.) My other option is to find someone within a ersonable distance who would be willing to do it for me. I am more than willing to help, supply the beer and pay a few bucks to someone who can help in person.

Thanks for your attention!!

Originally posted by Jamis07 View Post
    I am more than willing to help, supply the beer and pay a few bucks to someone who can help in person.
    The only suggestion I have to offer is to not supply the beer until after the job is done. :shock:

8-[
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Duely noted.

Comment

Dont be put off mate its not that difficult to do, you will need a few good tools & a manual :-D

theres some good advice here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=119861

Comment

I found a service manual for a 1980 GS1000... but not my 1981. Will it be that different or can you tell me where I can find one for my bike?

Comment

Working...
          X