81 gs450 fork rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs450 fork rebuild

i've got all the hard parts and evidently i need to pick up some ATF and 10w40 for fluid but how high do i fill them up with new progressive springs? there is a liquid amount listed in the manual but i thought that might change due to the different springs. i think there's some pvc that came with the springs for spacers too. when i did the sv's forks they gave me a mm measurement from the top of the tube to the oil level for reassembly.

Mr. 03svrider,

The amount of fork oil will not change. Follow the manual. Some folks add a little extra (equal on both sides) for a stiffer ride. Start with equal amounts then adjust the level so that both forks are the same. The spacer length is variable depending on your weight and how much preload you want. IIRC, you'll want about an inch of sag between unloaded and when you sit on it. Use a zip tie around the fork tube to measure. Start with the spacers pretty much even with the top of the tubes when the forks are fully extended. I hope to be installing my Progressive springs soon.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

My progressive springs came with a piece of paper that said to fill them to 5.5" below the top of the upper tube even if the recommended level is higher, which it was for my bike.

Comment

Rtfm!

Originally posted by p_s View Post
        My progressive springs came with a piece of paper that said to fill them to 5.5" below the top of the upper tube even if the recommended level is higher, which it was for my bike.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...rings/3055.pdf
        Thank you Mr. p_s,

Well, there ya go. Perhaps I'll remember to read the instructions before I install my Progressive springs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...rings/3055.pdf
          is that 5.5 inches or mm? forgive my stupidity.

Comment

You can try the 5.5 inches from the top recommended by the manufacturer of the springs or just go with 6 inches. I have an old "Motorcyclist" article on tuning forks and they highly recommended the 6 inch level with the Progressive springs and doing so always worked well for me.

BTW this level is to be measured from the top of the fork to the fluid when the fork is FULLY extended.

Comment

is that with the springs in? i'm pretty sure it is but i just want to be sure. i may do all this this weekend. the ol lady is going to be at a seminar all weekend so i won't catch any flak for doing it on the kitchen table! what she don't know......
              when she gets home though!
              "it smells funny in here! like gasoline or somethin?"
              "i don't know what you're talking about honey. i don't smell anything. the forks on my gs feel kick a$$ though."
              "what?"
              "nothing!"
              Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2008, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark whiz View Post
                BTW this level is to be measured from the top of the fork to the fluid when the fork is FULLY extended.
                I think you mean fully compressed. See the Progressive Suspension PDF or any good manual.

Comment

Working...
                X