Positioning of petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positioning of petcock

On my 81 750L, I think I am missing a part off of my petcock.
    The only thing visible on the thing is a small white slotted plastic piece inside.
    If you turn it, it just spins and spins, WHAT GIVES??
    Pics of your petcock would help :?

I have the same petcock. The slot up and down is prime and back and forth is run.
    You have an 80 bike with an 81 title.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I can't show you pics of my pet cock on this forum. But if you'd like me to send you some 'special' emails, well...........................?????

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
        I can't show you pics of my pet cock on this forum. But if you'd like me to send you some 'special' emails, well...........................?????

LOL
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Thats wierd I have the same kind and it doesn't matter where the slot is positioned it always needs vacuum to flow fuel. It is after market purchased from Z1 enterprizes.
          Chef, is yours a factory Suzuki?

Comment

Yes. In the prime position you do need vacuum to activate but not continuous. Give it a quick suck and it should flow until you put it back on run. On run it needs a constant vacuum.

Comment

learn somethin new......
              I'll give it shot

Comment

OK I am a bit confused, what position do I need it at when starting the bike? And when running? :?

Comment

Parallel to the ground is run.

Comment

So what is the prime position for?
                    Straight up/down = Prime
                    Left/right = Run
                    Correct?

Comment

Priming

Prime is for filling the float bowls after the bike may have been standing for a long time without running, and the fuel evaporates out of the float bowls. It saves you from cranking the engine over until there is sufficient fuel in the bowls to start the engine. Or after you have rebuilt the carbs, to get the initial fill of the bowls to allow the engine to start. I have found the same thing, that in the prime position, the fuel won't start running unless it gets a momentary shot of vacuum. After that it will continue running without vacuum.

Comment

Working...
                      X