Replaceing coils.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaceing coils.

Hi there is probably a simple answer to this question but my dilema is I recently been given a set of coils off a ?1982 GSX1100 and I am wondering if they will go on my 1979 GS1000L. The coils look the same altough the wiring is different. Original coils 4S 029700 12V ( HARD WIRED o/w wiring and b/y wiring) GSX1100 coils 9B 127900 12V ( These ones have a + & - terminals ) I take it that the Orange/ white would go to the positive. and the Black / Yellow go to the negative.The question is would these work or are they different ohms etc?. The reason for replacing is one of my coils is faulty and this could be a cheap swap if they are compatable? but I dont want to damage anything by just putting them on without consulting the vast knowledge base on this site Cheers.

If I remember correctly, the coils off the '82 would be 3 ohm coils, and the ones off your '79 are 5 ohm, so you would need 2 ohm ballast resistors or upgrade your points system to electronic. Dyna is one of the more popular suppliers.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep, wrong coils.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

They will work fine, just add a 2 ohm balast resistor on the 12 v line. Not sure what you have down under but I used a ign resistor from a late 70's Mopar

Comment

Steve I do have electronic ignition also off a gsx1100 and it works ,no points yay. So would these coils work with the different ignition setup I have or apart from old age could the electronic ignition be the reason for the coil failure?
          I do have two 1979 GS1000L so one is a donor bike and I could just take a coil off it. I just didnt want to start stripping it as it is 99.9% complete. Thanks for the helpful advice.:-D

Comment

Thanks Steve for your PM. The GSX1100 coils have been fitted ( only problem is that they are shorter than the original 79 coils) will fix attachments later. The spark appears stronger and all four header pipes get nice and warm. So now it has electronic ignition and coils off the 1983 gsx1100. The bike does not seem to have any increase in performance but idles well and has more than enough power for me. Thanks all.:-D

Comment

hi mate
              glad to see your troubles are sorted

now, where is pahiatua?
              GS850GT

Comment

Hi Psyguy another Kiwi good to see. If you go south of the bombays and follow state highway one all the way down the east coast of north island, Pahiatua is a small town to the east of Palmerston North and above Masterton and we have a few GS's here ,and some really nice bits of open unpopulated road. A great place to live. May see you on the road one day we have quite a few riders around here. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy View Post
                  Hi Psyguy another Kiwi good to see. If you go south of the bombays and follow state highway one all the way down the east coast of north island, Pahiatua is a small town to the east of Palmerston North and above Masterton and we have a few GS's here ,and some really nice bits of open unpopulated road. A great place to live. May see you on the road one day we have quite a few riders around here. Cheers.
                  thanks for the education :-D, i've been through masterton a couple of times. remember it as quite hot area, was over 30deg i think
                  so, we just had to take a break a have a beer - in a pub just accross from the pools (if i'm not talking nonsense, was some time ago )
                  good to know there's gs-ers around :-D
                  take care
                  GS850GT

Comment

Hey Freddy,
                    I used to live in Central Hawkes Bay. Seem to remember every time I rode through Pahiahatua it rained on me
                    There are some cracking roads around there. Been on a few rides around Weber and Herbertville etc.
                    Also not far from the promised land of Mangatainoka. mmmm beer
                    Cheers

Comment

Hi KiwiGS yes the famous tui brewery and the Tui girls mmmmmm.\\/ It does rain a bit around here but that just makes for a good excuse to hop on the bike and head for the sunshine. Do you and Psyguy do any of the group rides like cold kiwi , brass monkey etc. Good the hear from you cheers.

Comment

Yeah mate done a few group rides been to the Cold kiwi, Brass monkey, Burt Munroe and a few others. I have to say I am not a fan of riding in a big group. But a ride is a ride is a ride and any excuse is a good enough for me.
                        Cheers

Comment

Hi KiwiGS yes the famous tui brewery and the Tui girls mmmmmm.\\/ It does rain a bit around here but that just makes for a good excuse to hop on the bike and head for the sunshine. Do you and Psyguy do any of the group rides like cold kiwi , brass monkey etc. Good the hear from you cheers.
                          only local group rides, haven't been that far south
                          GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                          X