Maintenance list. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintenance list. HELP!

I was thinking of getting a newr bike, but I came to my senses and decided to put some money into my beasty.

So now, I've got a "To do" list on the bike before riding season.

What I'd like from you cool guys, is a point in the right direction. So, if you please could please provide with any specs, part numbers, links, best deals, etc.. I would GREATLY appreciate it.:-D

Also, I've got a bit of money to throw at the bike, so any ideas you have i'd be willing to entertain.\\/

78 GS1000

530 chain conversion
    -What sprockets, Chain, spacers???

Throttle cables
    -one's broken, better replace both. Need a tube as well. (Twisty grip plastic thingy)

Engine Gasket Kit
    -Base gasket is leaking. This job intimidates the crap out of me.

Braided brake lines
    -Who's the best yet cheapest?

Wheel bearings

LED lights/sigs
    -What to do? Link to members projects?

PLease please please, help a brother out. !!![-o<

Well, thanks for all the help so far.:-|

So far I've ordered:

Product Name: Gasket Set - Suzuki GS1000 (78-80) Complete Set
    Quantity: 1 Product ID: SU608-0352 Price: $66.07

Product Name: Ignition Kit - Suzuki GS550 (ND ign) GS750 (ND ign) GS750 GS850 GS1000
    Quantity: 1 Product ID: KL20-6886 Price: $24.43

Product Name: 530 (JTF513 series) 17T front sprocket
    Quantity: 1 Product ID: EM95-47317 Price: $13.99

Product Name: Front Sprocket Spacer Washer - 1.25mm
    Quantity: 2 Product ID: SS-3 Price: $0.75

Product Name: 530 (JTR816 series) 47T Rear Sprocket
    Quantity: 1 Product ID: TU24-9742 Price: $31.84

Product Name: 530 Chain - RK split link 'X' Ring
    Quantity: 1 Product ID: LA530XSOZ1-CL Price: $4.05

Product Name: 530 Chain - RK 116 link 'X' Ring
    Quantity: 1 Product ID: LA530XSOZ1-116 Price: $93.63

Still gonna need wheel bearings and throttle cables.

OH, And if anyone has a dual disc master cylinder, I need one.

Comment

When you install your gasket(s) use Hylomar. You will NOT be sorry.

I used LP turn signals to replace my stock anchor weights. They have LED signals, lots of companies do as well. They use less juice than stock bulbs so you don't need to worry about relays. Just do a search for led turn signals, there are lots of em.
      There are huge price differences on LED lighting, depending on the vendor.
      Signal Dynamics is one vender, off the top of my head, so to speak!

For cables, and other oem parts, a couple vendors are:
      bikebandit.com and ronayers.com both have online microfiche schematics.

I put Russell stainless lines on my GS1000, but Goodridge and Galfer are other sources.
      They will make up a kit for you. If you just measure your lines, you can have them
      made up at a local hydraulic line supply and save $$$. Just make sure you buy the proper banjo bolts for Suzuki to go with them.

You can buy wheel bearings from dealers or get the same thing from a bearing supply place for cheaper. I don't have one in mind, but I just search on google for the stuff.

Comment

I'd order anything I could from Z1 Enterprises. Their prices, shipping, and support are all unbeatable. Wheel bearings can be gotten from All Balls Racing. I'd get OEM cables. I've heard a lot of horror stories about aftermarket cables. Also, since parts are getting somewhat hard to find for our bikes I often order spares whenever I order parts, especially if they are inexpensive parts.

If you're looking to throw more money at the bike I'd suggest Progressive fork springs and new shocks if you haven't already done these. A fork brace will help handling too but these are getting hard to find, at least new.

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
          Well, thanks for all the help so far.
          Yeah - it's been a whole 2 hours and 40 minutes. Sorry about that.

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
          I was thinking of getting a newr bike, but I came to my senses and decided to put some money into my beasty.

So now, I've got a "To do" list on the bike before riding season.

What I'd like from you cool guys, is a point in the right direction. So, if you please could please provide with any specs, part numbers, links, best deals, etc.. I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Also, I've got a bit of money to throw at the bike, so any ideas you have i'd be willing to entertain.

78 GS1000

530 chain conversion
          -What sprockets, Chain, spacers???

Throttle cables
          -one's broken, better replace both. Need a tube as well. (Twisty grip plastic thingy)

Engine Gasket Kit
          -Base gasket is leaking. This job intimidates the crap out of me.

Braided brake lines
          -Who's the best yet cheapest?

Wheel bearings

LED lights/sigs
          -What to do? Link to members projects?

PLease please please, help a brother out. !!!
          OK - here's my 2c worth.

First - Keep it absolutely stock.

Second - You're right about the throttle cables - if one's gone, the other ain't far behind. Do them both.

Third - braided lines. For normal road use, absolute waste of time, and may even be worse than stock. If you absolutely have to, then Goodridge are about as good as it gets. Just Google 'Braided steel brake lines'. Personally I wouldn't do it on a GS. I did do it on the shovelhead, so I'm not totally biased :-D

Fourth - LED lights. Don't bother. There is only one supplier on the market who is worth a damn and he will skin you for $750 for a set that actually works. All the rest is crap and you are better off with stock.

Fifth - Wheel Bearings. Do you have some reason to believe that they are shot ? Like wiggling the wheel and it actually moves ? If not, don't worry about it. If so, get new ones and swap them. There's a little bit of techy stuff about pushers and pullers and stuff, but just say and we'll walk you through it. No biggie.

Sixth - Base Gaskets. Actually, this is the easiest engine job of all. All you need is the gasket kit and then the thing comes apart in a couple pieces.

Rocker covers come off to reveal head bolts.

Head comes off, then the cylinder block.

Swap the base gasket, refit the cyl block, head gasket, heads, rocker cover gasket, cover and you're done.

Absolute piece of cake, and since you are not machining or dismantling anything other than major lumps of the motor, nothing much to go wrong.

Digital camera, lots of pics, and someone who actually knows what they are doing will walk you through it.

Ask any profeshnial :-D:-D

PS: I cut your smilies to make room for mine :-D

Why there is a limit, only Allah knows.

Comment

You goddamned Yanks p#$$ me off!!Your parts prices are so cheap!I paid $320(Aus) for a 530 conversion for my 'S .$140 each for mirrors and almost $100 for blinkers.I think I'm going to have to put together a shopping list , load the old girl (bike not wife) onto a boat and me and momma bear come over and harrass you all for a while.If you've got heaps of money----give me some!Cheers,Simon.:-D

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Oops, didn't realise you were a seal basher.The rest is the same though.Cheers'Simon.

Comment

Oh, I forgot.

If you want to spend money on something useful, get a ScottOiler with the dual delivery nozzles and a high capacity reservoir. A couple hundred bucks, and you can forget chain oiling, other than topping up the reservoir when you change the engine oil.

Supposed to extend chain life also, but who cares :-D

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                  You goddamned Yanks p#$$ me off!!Your parts prices are so cheap!I paid $320(Aus) for a 530 conversion for my 'S .$140 each for mirrors and almost $100 for blinkers.I think I'm going to have to put together a shopping list , load the old girl (bike not wife) onto a boat and me and momma bear come over and harrass you all for a while.If you've got heaps of money----give me some!Cheers,Simon.:-D
                  For God's sake order it over the 'net from the US and pay the freight :-D

Hell, if you had any friends, you could even get the stuff shipped free to them in the US and they might charge you the actual freight rate to get to Oz instead of the extortionate courier rates.

Plus beer, of course :-D

Comment

Yup,gotta get me some of those "friends".Who sells them???Since having spent way too much(? could I possibly do that to an 'S ??)rebuilding my loverly ride,I do get my bits from the States.It just amuses me to see people on here commenting on the price of parts that I find rediculously cheap.It's all relative I suppose.The trade is ,I get to live in a country the size of the States with a population less than New York.You can guess what the traffic is like.Cheers,Simon.:-D:-D

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post
                      Yeah - it's been a whole 2 hours and 40 minutes. Sorry about that.

OK - here's my 2c worth.

First - Keep it absolutely stock.

Second - You're right about the throttle cables - if one's gone, the other ain't far behind. Do them both.

Third - braided lines. For normal road use, absolute waste of time, and may even be worse than stock. If you absolutely have to, then Goodridge are about as good as it gets. Just Google 'Braided steel brake lines'. Personally I wouldn't do it on a GS. I did do it on the shovelhead, so I'm not totally biased :-D

Fourth - LED lights. Don't bother. There is only one supplier on the market who is worth a damn and he will skin you for $750 for a set that actually works. All the rest is crap and you are better off with stock.

Fifth - Wheel Bearings. Do you have some reason to believe that they are shot ? Like wiggling the wheel and it actually moves ? If not, don't worry about it. If so, get new ones and swap them. There's a little bit of techy stuff about pushers and pullers and stuff, but just say and we'll walk you through it. No biggie.

Sixth - Base Gaskets. Actually, this is the easiest engine job of all. All you need is the gasket kit and then the thing comes apart in a couple pieces.

Rocker covers come off to reveal head bolts.

Head comes off, then the cylinder block.

Swap the base gasket, refit the cyl block, head gasket, heads, rocker cover gasket, cover and you're done.

Absolute piece of cake, and since you are not machining or dismantling anything other than major lumps of the motor, nothing much to go wrong.

Digital camera, lots of pics, and someone who actually knows what they are doing will walk you through it.

Ask any profeshnial

PS: I cut your smilies to make room for mine

Why there is a limit, only Allah knows.
                      I was expecting a quicker response only because I was in a hurry to order my stuff. \\/

OK, so I'll keep the brakelines stock.

Wheel bearings seem ok, but my bike was barn stored for 11 years, then I ran it for 2 seasons.. I just thought I'd better be safe.

Should I order rings maybe, while I've got the jugs off? Compression was decent last I looked. 120psi x 4.

Comment

I was thinking of the GS1000S Fairing and bar-end mirrors, a la 8track.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                          I'd order anything I could from Z1 Enterprises. Their prices, shipping, and support are all unbeatable. Wheel bearings can be gotten from All Balls Racing. I'd get OEM cables. I've heard a lot of horror stories about aftermarket cables. Also, since parts are getting somewhat hard to find for our bikes I often order spares whenever I order parts, especially if they are inexpensive parts.

If you're looking to throw more money at the bike I'd suggest Progressive fork springs and new shocks if you haven't already done these. A fork brace will help handling too but these are getting hard to find, at least new.

Thanks,
                          Joe
                          Thanks Joe.

The above order is from Z1.

I've got progressives in the front. The back would be a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                            try ordering anything from a suzuki dealer in new zealand... your ausie prices + BIG local comission
                            thank god for the internet and the on-line ordering
                            GS850GT

Comment

WELL, i JUST ORDERED A PAIR OF RIDING PANTS AND NAPOLEON BAR END MIRRORS!

Oops...
                              didn't mean to yell...

Comment

Working...
                              X