No announcement yet.

Maintenance list. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Psyguy old mate,sorry to hear someone is worse off.Give me a yell if I can do anything to help out.Guess then I'll have one friend.Cheers,Simon.:-D

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post

Third - braided lines. For normal road use, absolute waste of time, and may even be worse than stock. If you absolutely have to, then Goodridge are about as good as it gets. Just Google 'Braided steel brake lines'. Personally I wouldn't do it on a GS. I did do it on the shovelhead, so I'm not totally biased :-D
      Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
      OK, so I'll keep the brakelines stock.
      While I respect the opinions of others, I must disagree with Pete about stainless brake lines. If you're happy with long lever travel and mushy feel by all means keep the stock lines. If you prefer a short pull and a very firm feel then switch to braided lines. I put braided lines on my '83 GS1100 a couple years ago and was skeptical about whether I'd really notice any difference. The first sign that there was a significant difference was the fact that my brake light would not activate because the lever no longer traveled far enough to make the switch. Once I adjusted the switch and rode it I was pleasantly surprised in the feel and power of the brakes. Stock lines expand with pressure and give the mushy feel. Braided lines don't expand nearly as much and give a much firmer feel. The added stiffness translates to more fluid pushing the caliper pistons out instead of expanding the brake line so the brakes are more efficient.

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
        Psyguy old mate,sorry to hear someone is worse off.Give me a yell if I can do anything to help out.Guess then I'll have one friend.Cheers,Simon.:-D
        I'll be your friend mate :-D
        Yes it does suck trying to get parts here.
        The killer for me is the freight.
        Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          try ordering anything from a suzuki dealer in new zealand... your ausie prices + BIG local comission
          thank god for the internet and the on-line ordering
          I agree PSYGUY. Thank heavens for online and EBAY ordering. I just picked up a set of O/S piston rings for all 4 cylinders for $33 and a full top end gasket set for $41 for the GS550. A head gasket alone from Suzuki dealer in OZ is $152.

So its online and EBAY for me. Too
          Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2008, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
            While I respect the opinions of others, I must disagree with Pete about stainless brake lines. If you're happy with long lever travel and mushy feel by all means keep the stock lines. If you prefer a short pull and a very firm feel then switch to braided lines. I put braided lines on my '83 GS1100 a couple years ago and was skeptical about whether I'd really notice any difference. The first sign that there was a significant difference was the fact that my brake light would not activate because the lever no longer traveled far enough to make the switch. Once I adjusted the switch and rode it I was pleasantly surprised in the feel and power of the brakes. Stock lines expand with pressure and give the mushy feel. Braided lines don't expand nearly as much and give a much firmer feel. The added stiffness translates to more fluid pushing the caliper pistons out instead of expanding the brake line so the brakes are more efficient.

Thanks,
            Joe
            It's an argument that is ongoing and no doubt always will be until an unarguable 'better way' comes up.

As I said, I'm not totally biased - I have braided lines on the HD - I think a lot of it depends on riding style - those who push harder may well prefer the braided lines.

For a discussion from the 'other' point of view, this link might be of some interest, just in the cause of a balanced debate. Written for cars, but no doubt applies.

Opening two or three paragraphs, though the argument about the need for adaptors providing additional potential for failure may be of interest also.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2008, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Anyone know where's the cheapest place to get brake pads?
              Might as well replace them too.

Comment

ss lines

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post

Thanks,
                Joe
                I really don't know why anyone wouldn't want them, I put them on all my old bikes and I just ordered a set for my 2004 Kawa.

Comment

this is a LED thing i did on my 1000. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=118025

gives ya LEDs while still looking stock.
                  2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                  82 gs1100L probably the next project
                  1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                  1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

[quote=gsgeezer;761825]When you install your gasket(s) use Hylomar. You will NOT be sorry.

Which Hylomar do you suggest for which gaskets. I had a look online and they do one for head gaskets. If you could give me some guidance that would be good. I have the barrels and head off the 550, so di I need Hylomar on the base gasket and on the valve cover gasket only. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                      Anyone know where's the cheapest place to get brake pads?
                      Might as well replace them too.
                      don't get cheap on me now.....sintered pads are the way to go, the organic ones...s u c k
                      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
                        I really don't know why anyone wouldn't want them, I put them on all my old bikes and I just ordered a set for my 2004 Kawa.
                        I wasn't arguing against them as such. Just pointing out that there are perfectly respectable arguments pro and con, and that if you are a moderate rider on a budget they bring nothing to the party. If you're a hard rider, then they prolly do.

Like I said, I have them on one bike, partly for looks, but mainly because I can get a single brake line each end with no connectors other than the rear brake light switch, and no adapters, whereas the stock system comes in pieces.

But then, I'm a very slow, old rider :-D

Comment

Hylomar

[QUOTE=Suzuki_Don;762554
                          Which Hylomar do you suggest for which gaskets. I had a look online and they do one for head gaskets. If you could give me some guidance that would be good. I have the barrels and head off the 550, so di I need Hylomar on the base gasket and on the valve cover gasket only. Cheers[/QUOTE]

I use Hyomar blue on all pre formed gaskets and for thread sealing.
                          I know they have a "advanced formula" one now, but I haven't tried it yet.
                          Since it is a chemical seal and never hardens, it allows you to remove and replace parts like valve covers and clutch covers and reuse the gaskets.
                          A racer friend told me about it some years back and I haven't had anything fail yet where I've used it.

I would be curious to see if anyone has used the advanced formula.

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
                            I use Hyomar blue on all pre formed gaskets and for thread sealing.
                            I know they have a "advanced formula" one now, but I haven't tried it yet.
                            Since it is a chemical seal and never hardens, it allows you to remove and replace parts like valve covers and clutch covers and reuse the gaskets.
                            A racer friend told me about it some years back and I haven't had anything fail yet where I've used it.

I would be curious to see if anyone has used the advanced formula.
                            Thanks. GSGEEZER. I will look around and see if I can locate some here in Sydney. By preformed gasket do you mean just a gasket made out of gasket material, paper, thin cardboard, etc.

Comment

Well, I just spent $124 at Z-1 for braided lines for the front.
                              Lines, banjo's, bolts, washers. shipping...

Last night I won/bought a new master for dual discs on Ebay.

I'll be able to stop on a dime now!!\\/

Comment

Working...
                              X