gs1000 adjusting ignition timing,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000 adjusting ignition timing,

Hi guys,firstly thanks for all help and advice i have received over last few weeks,well just gave the bike a run 14 deg c in England in Feb unheard of!!! ran pretty good but still getting slight pop on overun from exhaust did plug chop and all plugs were grey even though set with gunson colourtune would colder plugs b9es help?i have always set plugs milky coffee colour,bike ran strong up to red line but acceleration felt a bit slow to me,more used to my xjr1300??.My question is how do you adjust ignition timing on my bike it is an 1982 1000g electronic ignition,My manual gives procedure for checkimg timing but no hint at how to adjust if out,Thanks in advance for any help Cheers Paul J......

The stock electronic ignitions were/are non adjustable. The good part about that is its not possible to set the ignition timing incorrectly as it will only install one way. If you have an aftermarket ignition, rotating the breaker plate clockwise/retard or counterclockwise/advance adjusts the timing.

Earl

Originally posted by PAULJAC47 View Post
    Hi guys,firstly thanks for all help and advice i have received over last few weeks,well just gave the bike a run 14 deg c in England in Feb unheard of!!! ran pretty good but still getting slight pop on overun from exhaust did plug chop and all plugs were grey even though set with gunson colourtune would colder plugs b9es help?i have always set plugs milky coffee colour,bike ran strong up to red line but acceleration felt a bit slow to me,more used to my xjr1300??.My question is how do you adjust ignition timing on my bike it is an 1982 1000g electronic ignition,My manual gives procedure for checkimg timing but no hint at how to adjust if out,Thanks in advance for any help Cheers Paul J......
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Hmm popping on the overrun suggests an air leak to me, have you checked the intake rubbers for cracks or splits ? are you running the stock airbox, is it sealed ? & are the carbs seated in the airbox rubbers correctly ?

PS i'm in the uk & would be willing to help if you are close to the midlands :-D

Comment

gs1000g ignition

Hi Tone Pretty sure i have sealed all leaks even on the airbox i am near Woverhampton were are you situated?

Comment

i'm just outside nuneaton mate & more than willing to help if i can

Comment

gs1000g ignition

Thanks tone can i have a contact number to have a chat if i cant nail this prob? Cheers Paul J......

Comment

Pm on its way paul :-D

Comment

Originally posted by PAULJAC47 View Post
                Setting your pilot mixtures using the colourtune method/flame colour will leave the off idle stage slightly lean. Just richening your air screws slightly should reduce the popping on decel and improve the transistion between the pilot and needle circuits. Plug colours will change to medium tan also.
                :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X