X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil light flickering at tickover when hot

oil light is flickering when hot on a 1100 efe (GS1150) have changed pump
    fitted 750 pump drive gears.
    Cams on 1&2 are going orange have set tappets but still get noisy when hot.
    anyone got any ideas ?

Re: oil light flickering at tickover when hot

From 1977 through 1979 the 8 valve 750's had ball bearing crankshafts and consequently had high volume, low pressure oil pumps. Oil pressure was normally about 2 (two) psi. In 1980 the 750 engine was given 16 valves and plain bearings and was fitted with a low volume, high pressure oil pump.
    As far as I know, all of the 1100 series engines have plain bearings and because of this, require a high pressure oil pump. If you are using an oil pump from a 750 made between 1977 and 79, you will not have sufficient oil pressure.

Earl

Originally posted by gsx.paul
    oil light is flickering when hot on a 1100 efe (GS1150) have changed pump
    fitted 750 pump drive gears.
    Cams on 1&2 are going orange have set tappets but still get noisy when hot.
    anyone got any ideas ?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Hi Earl
      Forgot to say that the pump was out of my spare GSX 750EZ 82 engine.

Comment

Earl, I'm afraid you are way off base on this one. All GS1100s have ball bearing cranks...that is one big reason they are so popular in drag racing. Starting in 1980, the GS750 with the 16-valve head had plain bearings and a one piece forged crank thus needing a high pressure oil system. The weird part is both the 750n and the 1100 have the same oil pump...just the oil pump on the 750 is driven faster (by using different oil pump gears) and the passages in the motor are designed so that there is little pressure drop. Gsx.paul has done what is normally considered common practice with the gears.

Paul, have you pulled the oil pump and checked clearances between the pump housing and the gears? That may be where your problem lies. I have put the 750 gears in mine and also still see low pressures but I have not seen the orange you are talking about on the tappets. It scares me sometimes to lok down at my oil pressure gauge...it runs VERY low!!!

Hap

Comment

Cheers hap
          Look like Iam checking oil pump again.
          As they are the same oil pump GSX750 &1100 I take it that the oil pump tolerances in a 750 manual are ok for the 1100?
          gsx.paul

Comment

Cheers hap
            Look like Iam checking oil pump again.
            As they are the same oil pump GSX750 &1100 I take it that the oil pump tolerances in a 750 manual are ok for the 1100?
            gsx.paul
            Being the same part number, I am sure the tolerences are the same. For the clearance limit between the inner and outer rotors it is 0.2mm (0.008 in), outer rotor clearance limit is 0.25mm (0.0098 in), and the pump side clearence cannot exceed 0.15mm (0.0059 in). Good luck!

Hap

Comment

You mean we are supposed to have an oil light???

Comment

Could your oil filter be draining itself a little? I'd say do an oil pressure check just to see what's going on.

Steve

Comment

Well, you just shot my theory all to hell. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Hi Earl
                  Forgot to say that the pump was out of my spare GSX 750EZ 82 engine.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks for the correction Hap. I was under the impression that only the later 1150's had ball bearing engines. Since I have a spare GSX1100 engine sitting in my shop for a later 7/11 conversion, you have no idea how happy being wrong makes me. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="Hap Call"]Earl, I'm afraid you are way off base on this one. All GS1100s have ball bearing cranks..

Comment

Thanks guys for your help
                      found the problem two stuffed oil pumps fitted new one and oil pressure ok
                      also found the ticking problem no oil going to head. one cam bearing stuffed.
                      Have learnt the hard way after a rebuilt run bike with rocker cover off to check everything is ok.
                      thanks again.

Comment

Thanks guys for your help
                        found the problem two stuffed oil pumps fitted new one and oil pressure ok
                        also found the ticking problem no oil going to head. one cam bearing stuffed.
                        Have learnt the hard way after a rebuilt run bike with rocker cover off to check everything is ok.
                        thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X