Is there a change in fork seal design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a change in fork seal design

Last year I installed new fork seals in my '80 GS580G with an aftermarket brand and the seals were leaking again by the end of summer. This time I bought OEM seals, but it is not seating properly. It seems to be hitting bottom and I can not coax it deep enough to put the washer on top with the clip ring. I noticed that the OEM was a tad thicker than the ones I removed, and it seemed maybe stiffer. I am wondering if Suzuki now makes this seal as one piece with no need for the washer, or am I still in for more persuasion to talk this down deep enough?

Michael
    Crescent City, CA
    1980 GS850G

fork seals

Hello, when I changed the seals on my 1980 850 the factory originals had the washer on top then the spring retainer. The replacement seals would not accomodate the washer and I did not use it. I just used the spring clip retainer and no problems. Hope this puts your mind at ease.

Comment

Thank you, that is what I was beginning to suspect. In fact, after I posted this I looked back at the BikeBandit schematic and noted that the washer is no longer listed as it was in the manual. I'll live with this now.

Michael

Comment

i had to put the washer 1st then the seal followed by the snap ring thing, oh that was a honda seal i used....part #`s were the same in denniskirk, they work well.

Comment

Working...
        X