Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visor pops up

Hi all,
    Is there a trick to stop a full face visor from popping open during shoulder checks? Should I just leave it open 1 inch so it doesn't surprise me?

Steve

Steve-Put a thin fiber or rubber washer on the pivots of your visor.That should add enough pressure to keep it in posistion.

Comment

Yep. Use the mirrors.......more often.

As you know, Steve, I have a windshield, so the wind blast is deflected, but even before I started riding bikes, I learned to keep a close watch on traffic BEHIND me as well as other places. All it takes is a brief flash of the eyes....and do it often!

I will not use convex mirrors.

If you have convex mirrors, I strongly recommend you smash them and replace them with flat glass mirrors.

How you position the mirrors is a key factor. Many riders complain about having their shoulders blocking part of the view.....they should listen to those complaints, because their mirrors are set incorrectly.

Long ago I found it critically important to ALWAYS know where everything is ALL around me.

Shoulder checks are something I do in city traffic. On the highway I seldom turn my head beyond 60 degrees, except when merging from an on-ramp. Then I will twist around to see what is coming before I reach the highway.

Peripheral vision, (albeit limited by the helmet opening) with my head at 60 degrees, gives me all I need to know about anything near me, and the mirrors have already given me everything behind that. Most of the time, I do not turn that far, so my eyes can still pick up what is going on ahead of me, even as I am glancing behind..
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Ron, just curious... why no convex mirrors? Is it the distance distortion that bothers you?

Personally I use convexes, but just for a check-six backup. I always do head-checks.

Steve, I've found that some helmets (like my HJC CL-12s) tend to pop if you don't install the visor perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by coinneach
          Ron, just curious... why no convex mirrors? Is it the distance distortion that bothers you?

Personally I use convexes, but just for a check-six backup. I always do head-checks.

You got it. I am a great believer in reality. Convex mirrors give an image of VERY limted distance, but they do provide an instant image of what is beside you right now.

My concern is that the image they provide is for the truly lazy driver, who looks to see what is there when he/she is thinking about a lane change, but otherwise can't be bothered with checking more frequently..

I want to know:

what WAS there,
          what IS there, and
          what is ABOUT TO BE there.

Flat mirrors can deliver that information, as long as they are properly aimed, and I spend the effort to read them.

For the sake of obtaining such comprehensive information, convex mirrors are completely worthless. They provide a highly-limited image of what you would see if you turned your head just a tiny bit, and IMO, are put there solely to suit the perceived needs of the laziest (and most dangerous) of drivers/riders who cannot be bothered to make any effort, of any kind.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Steve instead of rotating your head to do a head check(so as the point of your chin is above your shoulder) try tucking your chin onto the meat at the shoulder joint .It reduces the amount of turn required and therefore reduces the chances of the visor popping open and also is faster so it isnt as big a distraction from other things you should be looking for.
            Dink

Comment

Mirrors are good. Well placed and adjusted ones are better but there's a good reason why a head check is known as a "lifesaver".

If your visor pops I should look at replacing the helmet.

Roger

Comment

Yeah, this helmet is only 7 months old and I'm tossing it shortly. I have learned a lot about helmets with this one though...I'll be working on getting some longer mirrors too.

Steve

Comment

Re: Visor pops up

Originally posted by srivett
                  Hi all,
                  Is there a trick to stop a full face visor from popping open during shoulder checks? Should I just leave it open 1 inch so it doesn't surprise me?

Steve
                  Try a strip of duct tape (thats what your fellow Canadian Red/Green would recommend)

Comment

Working...
                  X