Shift Speeds GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift Speeds GS1000G

Can someone tell me the redline shift points in MPH for a 1980 GS1000G.

My tach is no good and i am curious.

1st = xx mph?
    2nd = xx mph?
    3rd = xx mph?
    4th = xx mph?
    5th = xx mph?

Thanks,
    J

Just after the power stops increasing.

Right before it feels like it's going to blow up.

If you can read the speedo, you're not hammering it hard enough/not paying attention to the road.
    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

anyone know?

Comment

Hang on, I'll look it up and get back to you...
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

According to the August 1980 edition of Cycle, maximum speed in gears at engine redline for the 1980 GS1000GT are as follows:

1st - 52.8 mph
          2nd - 74.2 mph
          3rd - 95.6 mph
          4th - 117.2 mph
          5th - 137.2 mph

This bike as tested did not have enough power to pull redline in 5th gear.

Hope this helps.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by spchips View Post
            Just after the power stops increasing.

Right before it feels like it's going to blow up.

If you can read the speedo, you're not hammering it hard enough/not paying attention to the road.
            Totally agree, spchips.

j_fitz7, learn to shift when it must be shifted. Stop looking down at speedo, learn to ride your GS1000G, get used to it, and enjoy it.

Comment

When somebody is trying to get the "feel" of a new bike, a tachometer is rather handy in learning when to shift by "feel", as well as actual engine revs. If the tach isn't functioning, the speedo can serve the same purpose, once one learns how rpms correlate to mph at certain gears.

They put tachometers on there for a reason...
              sigpic

SUZUKI:

Comment

Redline........................
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                  When somebody is trying to get the "feel" of a new bike, a tachometer is rather handy in learning when to shift by "feel", as well as actual engine revs. If the tach isn't functioning, the speedo can serve the same purpose, once one learns how rpms correlate to mph at certain gears.

They put tachometers on there for a reason...
                  Nonsense, Griffin. I had a MotoGuzzi Eldorado Police for 7 years back in the early 80's. It didn't have a tach, nor did it need one.

None of my GS shafties, since my first one in 1986, have needed a tach. One goes by feel. Period. I have a digital clock on the face of my tach. I look at the time, not the rpm's.

There's no reason to have a tachometer on a GS shafty. None whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post

Well, that may be a bit hyperbolic. Of course there are reasons. Any engine without a rev-limiter should have a tach if you plan to go anywhere near redline. Also, a tach is handy for various tuning chores and problem diagnosis. For everyday riding around town, probably not necessary.

Out of curiosity, what difference does being a shaft-drive bike make?
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                      Nonsense, Griffin. I had a MotoGuzzi Eldorado Police for 7 years back in the early 80's. It didn't have a tach, nor did it need one.

None of my GS shafties, since my first one in 1986, have needed a tach. One goes by feel. Period. I have a digital clock on the face of my tach. I look at the time, not the rpm's.

The guy asks a simple question, gets two unhelpful, critical answers, and now this statement emerges.

I know you've ridden a half million miles on a GS sharftie. I know you've been riding since Jesus was in diapers. I know you've done it all on a GS shaftie, and know everything about them. :roll:

Fine, then either share your knowledge with someone who asks a simple question, or ignore the post. There's no need to jump his ass and imply he's an idiot.
                      sigpic

SUZUKI:

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post

Out of curiosity, what difference does being a shaft-drive bike make?
                        The GS shafties all have just two valves per cylinder. They're all tuned very mildly, compared with the 16-valvers, with broad powerbands.

Comment

I did not imply that the guy's an idiot. I told him that on a GS shaftie like his 1000G, he should go by feel instead of by speed.

I did share my knowledge with him. So bug off.

I'm out.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't see that his tach was broken.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by j_fitz7 View Post
                              Can someone tell me the redline shift points in MPH for a 1980 GS1000G.

My tach is no good and i am curious.

J
                              When I first got my '83 GS1100G the tach did not work either. I bought a new cable for under $20 and replaced it. Pretty easy and quick. Lube the new cable before installing.
                              Tach makes maintenance easier and even though I shift by feel and experience(35 years), I still look at it periodically when riding. I've had bikes without tachs and don't like not being able to check what my engine is doing. Nice to get to know where your power band is on a new bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X