Plug Fouling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug Fouling

Just installed a set of Mac 4 into 2 exhaust on my GFs 81 GS650GL. Then installed new plugs, set pilot screws on carbs 1 3/4 turns out, synched (as close as I could, #2 carb would not match but was much closer than what it was set at). Just took a 70 mile trip, mixed riding, last 10 to 15 miles at about 60 to 65 on highway. Checked the plugs and 3 are fairly good (grey color but not too dark) but the #4 cylinder is black. Any suggestions?

Could be a dirty filter if you have indivdual pods, could also be that the carb is flooding or the float level may be too high, or bad rubber sealing plug on the main jet. Should also check the spark plug cap may not be firing.

Comment

Thanks, first thing I thought of was possibly an improper float height. Didn't think of the main jet seal. No individual pods, stock foam filter (new). I don't think it's a sprak issue since the plug is not wet, just very dark. BTW, I did notice that the exhaust on that side has light smoke...probably due to richness. I hate to think that I may have to tear down the carb right as riding season is starting. My GF won't be too happy with that.

Comment

Re: Plug Fouling

The first two things that come to mind are 1. bad spark plug boot 2. float height to high.

Earl

Originally posted by VStan
        Just installed a set of Mac 4 into 2 exhaust on my GFs 81 GS650GL. Then installed new plugs, set pilot screws on carbs 1 3/4 turns out, synched (as close as I could, #2 carb would not match but was much closer than what it was set at). Just took a 70 mile trip, mixed riding, last 10 to 15 miles at about 60 to 65 on highway. Checked the plugs and 3 are fairly good (grey color but not too dark) but the #4 cylinder is black. Any suggestions?
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
        X