gsxr frontend on a gs400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gsxr frontend on a gs400?

Has anyone tried to put a gsxr frontend on a 77/78 gs400? Or know what year(s) would fit. Im in the middle of a resto and was kicking a few ideas around.
    Tnx
    Gearhead

Man, that is demented! :-D

I would be willing to bet you'll be the very first.

It seems that the GSXR front end would be quite a bit of overkill (which is probably exactly why you want to do it), but likely quite a bit heavier than the original front end.

A front end from a GS500 sounds a lot more sane to me.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

How hard do you ride the bike, can you overwhelm the stock suspension? The swap will cost time and money, up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Comment

just my opinion but you'd be better off with a gsxr400 or rgv250 front end rather than a bigger model gsxr one

the same problems with steering stem lockstops & heights still apply when swapping any front ends no matter which make & model

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
          just my opinion but you'd be better off with a gsxr400 or rgv250 front end rather than a bigger model gsxr one
          Agreed, but there aren't any of those here in the US.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Agreed, but there aren't any of those here in the US.
            Aw hell you guys really miss out on some cracking little bikes

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
              Aw hell you guys really miss out on some cracking little bikes
              yep

AFAIK the only I4 400s that we've gotten in the past 20 years are the FZR400 and bandit 400.

Comment

You may want to look into a gixxer or Bandit 600. Those front ends are not in as much demand on eBay (cheaper) and will still give you the ability to run radial tires. You may need to swap out the steering head bearngs. Check microfiches on Bikebandit. They usually give you the bearing sizes.

Comment

cool. Thanks for the info. I'd like the ability to run modern radial tires and ditch the dual drums for a disk set up. I'll check those out and let ya'll know what i find out. Maby even a modern gs500 engine...hmm.. one thing at a time..hehe.
                  tnx
                  Gearhead.

Comment

Working...
                  X