Steering stem advise needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering stem advise needed

The bike is actually two bikes, a 81 GS750e and a 82 GS1100e.
    The steering crown on these bikes looks very similar. The problem is the torque spec. stated in my Haynes manual.
    For both bikes the Haynes manual rate the torque of the steering stem adjustment nut to 3.5 - 5.0 kgf (7.8 - 11.2 lb/ft), and the steering stem nut to 4.0 - 5.0 kgf (8.8 - 11.2 lb/ft)

This MUST be wrong?

Tightening a bearing race with 11 lb/ft is going to damage it, or at least lock it up solid.

Does anybody have a good procedure for reinstalling a steering crown?

Any advise is most welcome.
    Thank you!

-blo

Well ive learnt something today i never even knew there was a torque setting on the bearing ajustment nut :shock: just shows that even after all these years theres always something you can miss

Having said that the real world way to ajust the bearing nut is to tighten untill there is no play in the bearing so that the front end moves smoothly from side to side without sticking, feeling notchy or flopping around

also when you grab the bottom of the forks while the bike is on a stand with the wheel lifted off the ground you should not be able to move the forks in & out, if theres movement there either the bearing is too loose or the bushing in the forks is shot

Comment

Thank you, Tone.
      That's the way I've been taught, and how I've been used to do this.
      My confusion also comes from the fact that there actually is a torque spec, and this spec is totally unrealistic.

Regards
      -blo

Comment

I cant figure how you would get a torque wrench in there....

And what keeps the nut tight ?

Im playing with the torque on mine and have found it makes a big impact. After battling high speed weave I changed to All Balls head bearings, progressive front and back with new fork seals and oil up front. After a brisk ride I give the spanner nut a 1/8" turn and try it again. Ive got it about where I want it but I think the new Head bearings are seating themselves so I keep making adjustments.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by blo View Post
          ...the Haynes manual rate the torque of the steering stem adjustment nut to 3.5 - 5.0 kgf (7.8 - 11.2 lb/ft), and the steering stem nut to 4.0 - 5.0 kgf (8.8 - 11.2 lb/ft)

This MUST be wrong?

Tightening a bearing race with 11 lb/ft is going to damage it, or at least lock it up solid.

Does anybody have a good procedure for reinstalling a steering crown?

Any advise is most welcome.
          Originally posted by blo View Post
          My confusion also comes from the fact that there actually is a torque spec, and this spec is totally unrealistic.
          In what way would it be unrealistic?
          My advise would be to follow the manual. :shock:
          Also pay attention to part teminology.

My factory manual for the GS850 states:
          1. Using the steering nut, socket and a torque wrench, tighten the stem nut to 4.0-5.- kg-m (29.0-36.0 lb-ft.)
          2. Move the steering stem back and forth five or six times to seat the bearings.
          3. Turn the steering stem nut back to 0 kg-m., then retighten very lightly so that no play can be detected in the stem.
          4. Install the steering stem head and temporarily tighten the steering stem head center bolt to 2.0-3.0 kg-m (14.5-21.5 lb-ft).
          5. Tighten the steering stem side bolt to 1.5-2.5 kg-m (11.0-18.0 lb-ft).
          6. Turn the stem nut back slightly and tighten the steering stem head center bolt to its normal torque of 3.6-5.2 kg-m (26.0-37.5 lb-ft). When the front fork is moved back and forth, it must move freely. If there is any play in the forks, loosen the center bolt, tighten the stem nut lightly and retorque the center bolt.

Confirmation can also be found in my GoldWing manual:
          1. Tighten the adjustment nut to 4.0 kg-m (20 ob-ft).
          2. Turn the steering stem lock-to-lock five times to seat the bearings.
          3. Loosen the adjustment nut until it is hand-tight.
          4. Then retighten to the specified torque.
          [Specified torque: 1.9 kg-m (14 lb-ft).]
          5. Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 above.
          6. Repeat steps 2 and 4 a third time (do not loosen the adjustment nut).

Evidently there might be some confusion in the manual as to whether you are tightening the steering stem nut or the center bolt, as they have different values.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ahh, but you see - in this description you only use the highest torque of the adjustment nut to make sure the bearings are properly seated. Then you release it and tighten to the point where it has no slack but moves freely.
            This was very helpful.

Again - thank you one and all.

-blo

Comment

Working...
            X