Starter change question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter change question

The starter on my 1981 Gs 750 ex Burnt out and I have a new one on the way. My maintenance manaul says that to change the starter I will need to pull the carbs and cam chain tensioner. Is there a trick to removing and installing the starter that doesn't require removing the carbs and cam chain tensioner. Thanks for any input you can provide.

I doubt there's enough room to lift it out - wasn't anywhere near it on my 550 when I had to do it. Cam chain tensioner is easy - 2 minute job - just follow the manual. Carbs are a pain especially if you're a running stock airfilter, but really only time consuming and fiddly, not technically challenging. (Though with practice you can do it in minutes).
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

You do NOT have to pull the chain tensioner! ONLY the carbs. Ray.

Comment

As said above, removing the cam chain tensioner is extremely easy. It's also a good idea to do so you can clean it up a bit if there is any gunk in there.

Comment

As ray said

I have a 81 gs750 ex also see signature and thee cam tensioner dosent have to come off, nether do the valvestem caps.
          Posplayr

Comment

Originally posted by Rider2898 View Post
            The starter on my 1981 Gs 750 ex Burnt out and I have a new one on the way. My maintenance manaul says that to change the starter I will need to pull the carbs and cam chain tensioner. Is there a trick to removing and installing the starter that doesn't require removing the carbs and cam chain tensioner. Thanks for any input you can provide.
            You don't have to take anything off. Just the cover two bolt stamped steel. There is just enough room to tip it out. You will have a bit of an issue when you put it back in to align the two hold down bolts but you'll figure it out okay. You can rebuild the original with a kit if you want?

A very simple project!! I have the same bike. A 1 easy out of 5 being difficult.

Comment

You are correct. I have changed starters in my 79 and 81 750 and never took the carbs off or the cam chain tensioner. Its a bit tight, but everything does come out. The most difficult thing is installing the hold down bolts for the starter once its in place. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet and a small extension mirror so I could line everything up.

Earl

Originally posted by twistedwankel View Post
              You don't have to take anything off. Just the cover two bolt stamped steel. There is just enough room to tip it out. You will have a bit of an issue when you put it back in to align the two hold down bolts but you'll figure it out okay. You can rebuild the original with a kit if you want?

A very simple project!! I have the same bike. A 1 easy out of 5 being difficult.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Need a mirror now.............
                You are correct. I have changed starters in my 79 and 81 750 and never took the carbs off
                \
                Nice to know. :-D

Posplayr

Comment

Don't take 'em off!!

I agree with the above....you don't have to remove the carbs. This thread is a great example of many others:

Everyone means well....but, not everyone is right. Don't start tearing stuff apart until the dust settles.8-[
                  1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Thanks every body. All your input is greatly appreciated.

Comment

i have ?

removed and instaled the starter 5-6 times for var. reasons .. i did NOT REMOVE ANYTHING BUT THE COVER .. my suzy book says donot touch the cam tens.
                      the only hassle is getting the little bolts back in .. i greased the rubber washer on the starter..lithium grease.. it is finicy but i wouldnt do it any other way.. my bike 81 g.s 750 e 1981..

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I changed out the stater without removing anything but the cover. It acctualy wasn't as hard as I expected it would be. So thanks again.

Comment

just a bump for this , I just removed the starter motor on my 1980 gs(x) 16 valve 750L model, without removing anything other than the cover and the two mounting bolts.

Was a bit of a fiddle, but, as has been said earlier, with a 1/4 socket wrench and a deep 10mm socket, and a quick prayer to ward off the evil bolt seize, it came loose np, and a quick wiggle later, came out a treat.

So 1980 GS750L (16 valve one) , no need to remove other bits.

Comment

Working...
                          X