Question for G owners only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for G owners only

I just replaced the output gear assemblies on my '83 1100G. With the bike on the centerstand, I noticed that it takes quite a bit of effort to spin the rear tire/wheel by hand. It seems to me that it used to turn much more easily. I'm wondering if it's just a matter of waiting for the bearings to loosen up or if this is normal. Both gear assemblies were very stiff-turning before I installed them.
    I realize its impossible to put a specific value on the words, "quite a bit of effort" but here's one way to get an idea of what I mean.....if you do spin the rear wheel by hand, it stops within a 1/4 turn if you let go. Its almost as though the rear brake is dragging but I'm sure it isn't any more than normal.
    Can anyone tell me if the amount of resistance to moving the rear wheel by hand is normal?
    Thanks all you G owners.

It's normal my GS850 does the same thing

Comment

Al,

On my GS850GL.......if I go to spin the rear tire by hand, I can at least get it to make 1 whole turn. It didn't used to be like that..........up until a few months ago.......1/8 to 1/4 turn was all I could get because of rear brake dragging.

I redid the rear (and front) brakes.......rear caliper had quite a bit of gunk/corrosion in it. After cleaning it all out, and putting in new seals.........it spins beautifully. I can sit on the bike and push it around by foot now almost as easily as a bicycle...
      Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
      1982 GS1100E
      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Most likely a problem with brakes sticking. When I first got my bike I could barelypush it because the brakes were so tight. Turned out they were dirty, as they collect debris, and this is a very common problem.

Simple solution:

Spray it liberally with automotive brake cleaner. Do the front also.

Keep lots of paper to absorb the junk that comes off.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
        X