Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ride height

Hi All.....

Has anyone tried raising the ride height on a 1983 GS1100 ?
    I don't want to go out and buy longer shocks. But do want to set that back end up in the air by 2 - 3 inches.

Any ideas ?

Cheers.

I have longer shocks on my 82 1100E, I think they are about 3/4" longer but I would have to go and look in my notes to see for sure.

Why so much rear ride height change? Mine feels like it lost about 50lb and turns much better with the longer shocks but eventually you will reach a point of instability and have problems with tank slappers.

Another point is that +2" would make for one TALL bike. I am 5'-9" with a 32" inseam and I am on the balls of my feet. It is the tallest street bike I have ever ridden and requires care in parking lots due to the height. No issues once underway, though.

You might also have chain issues with it chewing up the top of your swingarm with that much of an increase.

I'm not sure of an easy way to jack it up short of new shocks, though. You could make spacer blocks of some sort just to try it, but I wouldn't run them permanently.

Mark

Comment

Are you talking about an 1100G or 1100E? L or standard?

Fitting longer shocks as above is pretty standard procedure for the 1100E.

If preload and spring rates are correct, there's no need to fit longer shocks on an 1100G. Another half inch or so wouldn't really hurt, I suppose.

If all you have to work with is the stock shocks, then save up some pennies to get some Progressives or Hagons. You won't get anywhere fooling with the crappy stock shocks.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi Mark, and cheers for the response.

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
        I have longer shocks on my 82 1100E, I think they are about 3/4" longer but I would have to go and look in my notes to see for sure.

Why so much rear ride height change? Mine feels like it lost about 50lb and turns much better with the longer shocks but eventually you will reach a point of instability and have problems with tank slappers.

My aim is to quicken the steering, in particular when two up.
        Plus it looks so much better with some air between the tire and tail.

Another point is that +2" would make for one TALL bike. I am 5'-9" with a 32" inseam and I am on the balls of my feet. It is the tallest street bike I have ever ridden and requires care in parking lots due to the height. No issues once underway, though.

I am ok with the extra height,....... 6'1'' and 34'' inseam, but take your point on board.

You might also have chain issues with it chewing up the top of your swingarm with that much of an increase.

I'm not sure of an easy way to jack it up short of new shocks, though. You could make spacer blocks of some sort just to try it, but I wouldn't run them permanently.

Prob have to go down the new shock route.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark

Comment

And a big thanks to you too.

It is the 1100ED model that I have.

I guess a set of Hagons is on my shopping list.

Cheers.

Comment

My aim is to quicken the steering, in particular when two up.
            Plus it looks so much better with some air between the tire and tail.

I would say that 1" max would achieve what you want, combined with appropriate spring rates and preload for 2 up riding. The difference in handling on mine is very significant and once you have gone too far, you need to buy new shocks to come back.

As for shocks, I have Ikon and am quite happy with them. They offer a number of spring rates and will custom do lengths for you, which is what I got. They are not Ohlins, but they also cost about 1/2 of the Ohlins good stuff.

Mark

Comment

Mark M/Eddie,

I'm gonna give this a try myself. I'm signed up on the Ohlins buy for some HO140 that are 1" longer than stock. They are intended for CB900F or CB1100F. I have a Katman inspired Bandit swingarm. When we mounted the shock mounting tabs on the swingarm I think they end up being maybe 3/8" further back than stock. If have a GSXR front with 17" front and rear wheels.

I'm thinking the 1" longer shocks will sharpen the handling and give me a tad more ride height. I lost 1.5" with the USD front and 17" tires. Haven't touch down anywhere but I keep a sharp eye out for speed bumps. The Corbin helps to keep the feet planted.

Comment

Working...
              X