Bench sync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bench sync

I have not done a seach as I only have dial up so please bear with me.
    This is how I would do a bench sync on my CVs

1 Assemble carbs ready to go on the bike
    2 Set air screws 1 1/2 turns from bottom.
    3 Determin master carb.The one that the throttle cable connects to right?
    4 Put a small drill bit 1.5mm under the buterfly of the master carb. (to big/small)
    5 Adjust the main idle screw untill the butterfly just touches the drill bit.
    6 Adjust the sync screws untill all of the butterflys are the same.
    7 Check the master carb again.
    8 Reset the idle screw

Have I missed or got anything wrong?
    Cheers

That should work. I use a flexable feeler guage. #3 is the master carb.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Procedure sounds good. \\/

Only things I would change would be to start at 2 full turns out and use a smaller gauge. I have had a couple sets of carbs that would not open to 1.5 mm, so I use a straightened-out paper clip. The larger ones I have available at home are 1.05 mm in diameter, the 'normal' size clips are 0.88 mm. Just be sure that there are no burrs on the end of the clip that will scratch the throat of the carb.

Also, don't forget to re-set the idle speed before starting the bike. With the throttle open far enough to do the bench sync, revs will tend to skyrocket when started. :shock:

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Chef and Steve.

Good to know I am on the right track.:-D

Cheers

Comment

The only thing I would add is to make sure the #3 throdle blade is completely closed with the idle screw backed out. You never know what was done in the past

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            The only thing I would add is to make sure the #3 throdle blade is completely closed with the idle screw backed out. You never know what was done in the past
            Also a good point.

What I tend to do when finished is to back off the idle screw until there is a gap in the adjuster, then shine a light through all the carb throats to verify that they all are closed, then do a visual sync as I turn the idle adjuster until it touches, then about one turn more.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X