painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

painting

for painting dark colors which color primer do i use, black, grey, red??? does it matter?

I don't have much experience with painting, but the limited experience I do have I've found that each different paint manufacture recommends a specific primer. This is in part because they have developed the primer and the basecoat to chemically react a certain way giving the desired result along with a longer, stronger paint. So, I recommend you read the can and talk to someone either with the company you're buying the paint from, or someone who's done what you're doing. Personally, I want to paint my bike either wrinkle black or Copper metalflake or Candy Apple Red over Rootbeer from House of Kolor.

Comment

Aside from the chemical 'knit' that may/may not occur between the primer and the paint you are using...and this has to do with whether you are using a 'system' and are able to follow the often very specific temp/humidity/mixing requirements (good), or not (maybe bad...may work just fine anyway), the main consideration with choosing primer colour is: What shows through if your clear coat and colour coat both get evaporated/rubbed/chipped away?" If the primer is close to the colour of the top coat chips and chaffs will show less.
      There are also two types of primer..."primer surfacer"...meant to provide a very miniscule amount of sandability to fill small scratches and etc., be fast drying and also be soft enough to be easy to sand to a totally flat finish, and "non sandable primer"...meant to seal the primer surfacer and prepare it chemically for the colour coat, so the colour coat doesn't sink into the primer.
      Using a series of paints and surface prep products (degreasers, silicone removers, rust inhibitors etc. from one supplier, even if they are in spray bombs, and following the directions, pretty much eliminates all problems except not enough sanding and a heavy hand with the gun.

Comment

The primer color makes a difference in the color coat shading. Dark colors will be a little lighter with a gray primer. I normally use a black primer unless I'm painting something like silver or other light color.

Comment

Gary is correct when painting the primer has a direct effect on the shading of the color.. thats how the proffesionals can make do many different shades of the same color without really ever changing the mix

Comment

i had painted the tank metal flake blue and it looked great, then i decided to mask off astripe and painted it black, well i didnt like so i removed the stripe and totaly screwed up the side of the tank :? no more blue im going with silver and a grey primer...took the paint off with chemical stripper...im never sanding again!!!

Comment

The type of primer is very important. There are primers for plastic, bare metal, filling and levelling etc. Some primers are hot (chemically) and will accept poly urethanes and lacquer, others will simply curl up under some paints. Personally I try to use 2 part urethane primers over bare metal and some plastics, then I use a black lacquer primer on top and block sand until I feel it's all straight and smooth. Before I spray on the topcoat, if it's a low hiding color, I'll completely spay everything with a compatible, nonsanding sealer and then the topcoat goes on. Keep the thickness of the paint just enough to allow good coverage then clear coat for depth.

Bottom line; go to a professional auto paint store, tell them what you're doing and they will advise correctly. Expensive but you'll get beautiful results.

Comment

Working...
              X