I just removed all the shims from 1979 GS 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twistedwankel View Post
    All these headaches is why I bit the poison pill and took my old bike to a professional shop. Better for me to not have it for 2-3 weeks waiting for proper shims than to endure all these issues. I'm a better rider than a mechanic. 16 valves is suddenly too many to deal with. Besides I keep reading about people having trouble finding the right thickness shims. I can't imagine having to go thru this every 15k miles???? There must be an easier way??? So this must be why most new cruiser bikes seem to have only 2 cylinders now???

I salute your bravery in tackling such a recurring headache.\\/
    FYI: 16V GS engines use threaded adjuster (no shims). GS engines need valve clearance checks way more regularly than 15k miles - more like 5k.

No disrespect but since you don't know these things, it's best you just pay someone that does. :?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      FYI: 16V GS engines use threaded adjuster (no shims). GS engines need valve clearance checks way more regularly than 15k miles - more like 5k.

No disrespect but since you don't know these things, it's best you just pay someone that does. :?

+1

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

DOH. Isn't that what I said in the first place? I don't have to know these things because I don't have a factory manual anyhow. Pay the man. If I had to take it in twice a year I'll just sell it and get a bike that is more "usable" or just drive my convertible with hydraulic lifters. Actually the owner's manual says to inspect them every 3500 miles. That to me is laughable. My bike is 27 years old and this is probably the second time the valves have been "looked at" in it's 27,000mi. Only because compression is lacking on one cylinder. I now put 5000mi a year on it because I don't work anymore and it's warm here. It used to get 700mi/year in 3 months weather permitting with lots of oil changes.

These old GS bikes to me are bullet proof unless someone does something stupid to ruin the engine. If the shop ruins an engine that is running well when they got it they have a problem not me So they can put the screws to the lifters.

Some day I'll remember not to tell the shop owner that the bike is a "toy" to me. That makes me wait longer than other people I keep forgetting that's how he makes his living.

No disrespect taken

Comment

I usually do my own work...

... but the guys I have been using for about 28 years no longer want to work on old Japanese bikes; they don't want to deal with carb boots, o-rings, shims, etc. I wanted them to sort out the carbs that the PO never could get right after putting on pods and a 4-to-1 header, and the guy who was really good with old Japanese fours left. The shop does custom work, mostly HD, and makes most of its money from accessories. If I could get some help, I would, but if not, at least I CARE about my bike, so I'll be careful, if occasionally dumb.
          1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
            ... at least I CARE about my bike, so I'll be careful, if occasionally dumb.
            Yeah brother. I feel ya.

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
              ... but the guys I have been using for about 28 years no longer want to work on old Japanese bikes; they don't want to deal with carb boots, o-rings, shims, etc. I wanted them to sort out the carbs that the PO never could get right after putting on pods and a 4-to-1 header, and the guy who was really good with old Japanese fours left. The shop does custom work, mostly HD, and makes most of its money from accessories. If I could get some help, I would, but if not, at least I CARE about my bike, so I'll be careful, if occasionally dumb.
              I fully equate with your situation. I personally wrote the same words about the frustration in moving to a new state and all the dealers wouldn't touch a bike over 10 years old. Mine being 27.

BUT, a nearby GS Forum member put me in touch with a local Triumph dealer who will still do quality mechanical work on old Suzuki's - but he will not do electrical as that is a time consuming nightmare and people won't pay him for all that time at $60/hr. No problem I can do that myself and have lots of time. He gives written quotes on mechanical work and this bike isn't my daily driver so time is no problem which keeps my cost down.

Hopefully someone in your area will hook you too up with a reliable mechanic for those jobs you'd prefer not to tackle without a factory manual or specialized tools.

All the best of luck in your restoration/ maintenance.

Comment

shim spacer

dont know if this will help or do more dammage to my engine, but took out all of the shims on my 550e to get correct gap set up, as they were all tight i had to take out each one , i replacecd it with a 2p coin {uk} so as not to dammage the cams when rotating them, as i get new ones i,ll take the coin out and put the replacement shim back in as i go along, i realise some will be swapped around as i have sizes varying 2.60-2.75.
                If this works it will be a cheap tool total cost 16p, if it doesn,t it will be an expensive tool, new cams ,buckets, or head

nothing ventured, nothing gained

Comment

Working...
                X