LED lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED lights

rear led brake light, anyone running them? i did add led strip under the rear brake light but its so dim im about to take it off :? so would the main bulb be be brighter useing leds?

Hello Rick,
    It seems there is a lot to leds. First the individual LEDs have different light outputs...the more costly they are (usually) the more light they emit...and the higher the number the light emission (I think this is the 'mcd') is rated. I think the usual is 8000 for using in arrays for bike lights. They have different "fan patterns" so the light is directed into narrow or wide arcs. The beauty of incandescent bulbs is that they have are very wide (visible!) fan pattern. They basically shine all over the place. LEDs are extremely directional, and if a car is outside the fan pattern of the LED it will NOT see the light. The quality of the chemicals that produce the colour, if they are coloured LEDs varies also, leading to different wave lengths of the same colour. Apparently some wave lengths are interpretted as being 'brighter' than others because of the way our eyes work.
    I tried some of the simple LED replacement bulbs and was very dissappointed with the output. I've seen some sites on the net with instructions from people who are making their own led arrays with circuit boards and resistors and etc., but they usually have at least 12-8000mcd LEDs at a minimum of .85 cents each...so they aren't cheap to build OR buy. There is the cost of the LEDs the resistors the circuit boards and then the job of finding housings and etc etc etc.
    It sounds like a fun project, and worth doing if you really need to save power...but incandescents as far as I can tell are brighter.
    Hope this is some help.

Comment

LED bulbs can be VERY bright and effective... and easier to get pulled over with! Check to make sure your state has DOT approved them so you don't have a conversation with the local highway bacon. Normally local cops will leave you alone about equipment, many don't know some of the regulations (I asked both my parents about legal bumper height for a truck for a buddy, and eventhough they are both cops they had no idea) but state troopers have little better to do than write speed tickets, equipment tickets and scrape idiots off the roads. I would recommend, even if they are dot approved, that you stay away from strobing and rotating LED brake lights. Recent studies have shown that drunk drivers are attracted to 1) White lights. They drive TOWARDS white lights and 2) moving/strobing lights as well as other things.

Comment

i bet since i installed that led strip under the brake light its taking away power from the brake light, my friend i was riding said he couldnt see the brake or running lights during the day :?

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
          i bet since i installed that led strip under the brake light its taking away power from the brake light, my friend i was riding said he couldnt see the brake or running lights during the day :?

you have to remember that LED's take VERY LITTLE current to run. I have 2 Aux brake lights on my 'GK, with 2 inch 50LED light bulbs. They are very bright, easily seen, and since I replaced those 2 #1157 bulbs originally there, My head and dash lights no longer dim when I put on the brakes. I have running lights that are incandescent, and i cannot see them during the day either. :twisted:

Comment

I have a auxiliary brake light LED on my bike that I mounted on the bottom of the license plate frame, it is quite bright, I had originally wired it to be a extra tail light, (that is what it was sus-pose to be for) but it was to bright for that purpose so I re-wired it to be a brake light.

Comment

my led is set up to be a brake light but its not to bright, now at night its works great.

Comment

Working...
              X