what color for my GS1000ST?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what color for my GS1000ST?

OK, I know that my 1980 GS1000ST is the correct red/white color, and my 1979 GS1000SN is blue/white, but did they come in any other colors? Did the factory make a blue/white ST or a red/white SN? The ST is a lot different from the SN, it has 33mm slide carbs (28mm on the SN) bigger ports, wilder cams, electronic ignition, different frame with rearset foot-pegs and levers, better brake calipers and discs and supposedly made better horsepower than the first 4 valve 1000 engines. Trouble is, they were pretty much forgotten and I have never read one review or ride impression on the ST. Bit of a shame really, it's a real nice old bike. :twisted:

RE: What color

Terry,

My 1980 GS1000ST is blue and white. From what I have seen of them, my guess is that the US version of the ST is blue/white and the Canadian/UK versions are red/white. Don't know much about the '79SN other than the fact that the '79SN had longer exhaust megaphones and flat seat as compared to '80ST. Also my '80ST does have the rearset pegs and shifter.

Comment

My 1980 S is blue and white also.
      I think I see a trend here.....
      I thought the Canadian S models were red/white, US blue/white.
      I could be wrong......

I would stay with the blue/white. It sets it off from all the other bikes out there. Or maybe change the blue to be flames instead of stripes?

Keith
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
        I would stay with the blue/white. It sets it off from all the other bikes out there. Or maybe change the blue to be flames instead of stripes?

Keith
        Ugh...go ride a Harley :roll: you know that the blue ones are always faster right 8)

Comment

Here in th UK we had both red/white and blue/white versions. But they only had the standard flat seat, footrests & exhaust system (same as a GS1000E). Also they had handlebar mounted mirrors.
          I would love to get hold of a set of the genuine rearset footrests. Anybody help?

Comment

I heard, back in the "80's", that there were only 500 GS 1000 SN's shipped to the US. Does anybody know if this is true or not?

Comment

Re: RE: What color

Originally posted by dallyspot
              Terry,

My 1980 GS1000ST is blue and white. From what I have seen of them, my guess is that the US version of the ST is blue/white and the Canadian/UK versions are red/white. Don't know much about the '79SN other than the fact that the '79SN had longer exhaust megaphones and flat seat as compared to '80ST. Also my '80ST does have the rearset pegs and shifter.
              Hey Dan, (and everyone else too) thanks for the info, the reason I ask is I have another 1980 GS1000ST that I'm in the process of restoring, and as much as I like the red/white color scheme, I'd like to paint this one a different color. I can get the decals made locally, but do you have any pics of your bike(s)? I'd like to see a pic of a blue/white ST, as I've never seen one here in Australia. There are still a few blue/white '79 SN's around, but they are all getting rare now I guess? I presume that the stripes on the blue/white ST are the same as my red/white ST, as they are quite different between the SN and ST?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                Here in th UK we had both red/white and blue/white versions. But they only had the standard flat seat, footrests & exhaust system (same as a GS1000E). Also they had handlebar mounted mirrors.
                I would love to get hold of a set of the genuine rearset footrests. Anybody help?
                Paul,
                You'll need a complete ST frame as the brake pedal was relocated as well as the gear pedal and linkage on the ST. Also, in Australia, the ST only came with handlebar mounted mirrors, as the mirrors on the SN vibrated pretty badly. The ST here also lost the additional guage panel (clock, oil temp and fuel guage) which is a bit of a shame as it looks good on my SN.

Comment

Re: what color for my GS1000ST?

Originally posted by terry
                  The ST is a lot different from the SN, it has 33mm slide carbs (28mm on the SN) bigger ports, wilder cams, electronic ignition, different frame with rearset foot-pegs and levers, better brake calipers and discs and supposedly made better horsepower than the first 4 valve 1000 engines. :twisted:
                  33mm slide carbs? According to the Factory manual I have they're 34mm CV type carbs. (Mikuni BS34) Are you sure?

The inlet cam is different only, and not that wild! Claimed power is the same as the GS1000ET models, which had the same carbs and port sizes, as well as discs and calipers.

I didn't know about the rearsets though, you live and learn.

Comment

OK Brit, a little poetic license re: the cams, so to keep you happy, "slightly wilder" inlet cam, ha ha! Oh, and yes, I can tell the difference between 33mm slide and 34mm CV carbs, but I know where you're coming from, I have the complete set of microfische parts manual cards for all the GS1000 variants (in fact for every suzuki bike from 1972 to 1988, I think) and I can't see any with slide carbs, so maybe they were just produced for the 50 or so ST's that were sent to Australia, but all up now I've had 3 ST's, and they've all had the same carbs. It's also interesting that the air filter box is marked "GS1000S", not just "GS1000" like my 1980 GS1000E or my 1979 GS1000SN. Anyone got a pic or two of a blue/white ST they can email me? my email address is sherriffbuck@yahoo.com Thanks a bunch guys!

Comment

Fair enough, Tel, wasn't doubting you! Just surprised. Although I shouldn't be, Suzuki seem to have buggered about with the parts on this bike more than any other model.

Is it possible that the Aussie importer played around with this batch? As opposed to Suzuki in Japan that is?

I'm just jealous anyway, I've got a 1000SN UK model with 28mm carbs which I love, but I'd love it more with 33mm slide carbs!! Its blue and white, which seems to be the rarer of the 2 in the UK.

All the best.

Comment

Hey Brit, don't be too jealous, even though the 33's make better power than the 28's, they are pretty "agricultural" compared to the 34mm CV's. I actually put some 34's on my last ST (they were off a GK, I think) and the difference was incredible! Much lighter throttle, easier starting and heaps better fuel economy, no bullsh*t, I'm 6'6'' tall and weigh about 240 pounds and am lucky to get 40 miles per (imperial) gallon with the 33mm slidies, but on it's first trip with the CV's I got over 50!

Oh, and the plugs run a lot cleaner with the CV's, even though the jets are bigger. I've got a spare set of CV's and a new stage 3 dynojet kit sitting in a box, and am thinking of fitting them to my other ST engine, it's already been fitted with the yoshimura 1100 kit and yoshi stage 2 cams, but is forever fouling plugs and missing and farting down low with the 33mm slide carbs. Eventually I'll fit some flatslides to it, I bought a set off ebay but the seller got the year wrong and my rubber inlet manifolds almost fit INSIDE the venturis, ha ha! :twisted:

Comment

I highly recommend the flatslides. I have Mikuni RS36 flatslides on my other bike (the 7/11) fitted to a T model large port head which has been gas flowed. I've also got Kent cams (at 110 degrees), 1085 Wiseco kit, Dyna coils and ignition, 750 oil pump gears etc etc.
                          It makes over 107 bhp at the wheel, and runs really nice apart from a very occasional fart through the filters, even giving over 45 mpg in normal riding. No plug troubles.
                          Only slight problem is that I didn't get the crank welded, and on the last WFO run I did the crank slipped, bending a valve. That'll learn me!!

Comment

Australian GS1000S models

I have seen 3 models of GS1000,s here
                            The main being the blue and white 79 1000Sn
                            These have the neat dash.
                            The difference between a 1000Sn and St are as follows
                            1000St
                            I have seen both Blue and white and Red and white 1000St
                            The difference being, bigger ports, different cams, spacers and added friction disc in the clutch, Plastic switch blocks, 29 mm Oval bore carbs
                            Rear set footpegs, king/queen type seat.
                            They do not have the neat dash of the 1000sn model just basic guages,
                            although they might have unique redline and top speed, I am not 100% sure of this. they also have gold paint mags, plastic rectangular indicators
                            pressed steel discs, different front and rear calipers, plastic rectangular
                            front brake master cylinder. The carbs hace the choke on the carbs and not cable to the triple tree.
                            The paint styling is different and I am not sure if they use the same blue and white from 1000Sn to St. The styling on the red and white and blue and white is the same on the St.

I have seen quite a lot of 1000s models both years with some hard crash damage to the RHS, both engine cases and upper fairing.. makes me wonder if they had a tendancy to fall to the right, or if just the riders tried harder on the rhs..

Anyone know the true clour codes or names to the 1000S models..
                            I want paint up a Red and white set, so I can change bikes for awhile..
                            I figure if I put on a differnt pipe, change the colour and put on the Astra lite mags it would be as good as buying another bike..
                            Simon

Comment

Working...
                            X