Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gear position switch removal for engine dismount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gear position switch removal for engine dismount?

Just trying to remove the engine...
    The wire from the gear position (Edit - sorry, neutral switch 79 GS1000) goes into a connector coupled with, I believe, the oil pressure switch which goes un-interrupted into the main harness. My issue is trying to just unplug the sucker without cutting anything.
    So I figure I may need to remove the gear position switch itself from the engine... did a search and found this from years ago from a guy named Bill Anonymous...

"There is one thing you can do to test the Gear Position Indicator. Remove the indicator, to do this you need to remove the gear shift lever, then remove the screws from the secondary cover, (this makes access a little easier) at the very bottom of the motor on the left side is the switch, it is held in with 2 screws and is round in shape with a wiring harness attached. Remove those screws and switch but MAKE SURE the little spring plunger doesn't fall out, there is a tiny hole in the end of the cam that this spring fits in. It doesn't fall out easy but still make sure it is there."

So my question is: If I undo those two screws will the oil flow out? Or is the switch isolated from the oil chamber?

Thanks to all in advance and belated thanks to Bill Anonymous for the write up.

JC
    Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2008, 09:53 PM. Reason: spleliing

There is not supposed to be oil in there. If there is, you have other problems that need to be fixed. :shock:

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

just a word of praise to you for using the search button :-D

and, as steve said, no oil there
      GS850GT

Comment

OK. thanks for the info. I'm going in...
        but not with out my galoshes... Just in Case.

Comment

Yup, no oil spill today.
          Awesome.
          turns out I didn't need to do this tho. After removing the sucker and undoing the wiring harness clips and plugs I found that that section of harness all comes undone as one (pictured) and can stay with the motor as it is removed.
          But now I know all about the gear position switch - or is it the neutral safety switch? OK I know almost all about it.
          Photos for inquiring minds-

Don't lose your little ***** and its spring.

Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2008, 10:46 PM. Reason: Hey, who knew ***** was a dirty word

Comment

hey so what does it mean if oil DOES flow outta there

Comment

Working...
            X