Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel leak while the engine is not running- 1980 GS850G

[1980 GS850G]
    I was newspapering the fuel tank yesterday to strip it and paint it. When I reached the left side of the bike I noticed a smell of fresh fuel. I have smelled it before but there was never anything dripping from the bike until now. I noticed a very small puddle under the bike. As near as I can tell the fuel is either coming from, or dripping from, the hose shown in the picture below. I've read about the carbs leaking from being stored with fuel but most of the threads I found seemed to focus on leaking while running. It may be worse while running as a friend who rode behind me once told me he could smell unburnt fuel. Any ideas?

Thanks

Does your vacuum petcock work?

Comment

Originally posted by uudfourty View Post
      Does your vacuum petcock work?
      Forgive my ignorance but how do I tell? The bike starts with little trouble. Last time I started it it backfired pretty loud but I wasn't sure if I flooded it while starting it.
      I haven't started it since I noticed the leak.

Comment

You need to change the O rings for the float needle valve, Ted

Comment

Originally posted by knotzilla View Post
          You need to change the O rings for the float needle valve, Ted
          Thanks I'll look into that. Is it safe to ride to a garage? I would rather pay a professional for this I think. By safe I mean is that something that will cause catastrophic failure or just leak a little fuel while I'm riding. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

its not that hard to change the o-ring. you just have to take the float bowl off, take the float off, unscrew a screw, get a pair of pliers to pull the needle assembly out, change the o-ring, and reassemble. dont pay some one else to do something his easy.:-D

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkster View Post
              Forgive my ignorance but how do I tell? The bike starts with little trouble. Last time I started it it backfired pretty loud but I wasn't sure if I flooded it while starting it.
              I haven't started it since I noticed the leak.
              take the fuel line off the petcock
              there should be no flow in ON or RES position
              should be flow in PRI position (make sure your petcock is not in this position under any regular sircumstances)
              take the vacuum hose off the petcock, place a longer one in its place, petcock in ON or RES position, suck a little, the gas should flow now

any discrepancy from the above = faulty petcock
              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
              X