rear shock placement location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear shock placement location

So i have seen on many pictures the rear shocks moved from each side of the tire to a single one under the seat. How is this done? Cost benefits? Downfalls? Anyone here done it? What is the skill level that it would take to do that.

Shane

i've never seen a picture of monoshock coversion on a shaft drive
    if you have any i'd be interested to see it
    GS850GT

Comment

Mr. SDK,

I concur with Mr. psyguy. The monoshock conversions you've seen involve replacing the old, standard swingarm (the part that holds the rear wheel) with a swingarm from a newer chain-driven motorcycle. Most of these upgrades are practically bolt-on replacements. Unfortunately, there is no newer swingarm for our shaft drive bikes that we can just bolt on. If you are looking for better handling, about all you can do is buy better shocks.

I suppose it could be possible, but you'd have to be quite an engineer and machinist.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Actually My 1991 GSX1100G does have a Mono Shock and it is Shaft drive. I have no clue what sort of Engineering would be required to adapt such a system to an older GS but I'm quite sure there would be No cost savings.:-D

sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Let's try an experiment!

Mr. marvinsc,

I knew the early '90s 1100G had a monoshock swingarm. Can I borrow your swingarm and see if it will fit on my bike? I don't know if anyone's ever tried it before. We'll make history! :-D

BassCliff

Comment

Marvin...I swear that you show a pic of your new bike...once a month...just to keep my shade of green, from fading. :-D

The monoshock conversion on a shafty, to say the least, is difficult. Everything from pivot points, to sprung weight/leverage, to length of travel, all of which will test you geometry skills and a calculator. It can be done... :? I'm working through that one myself.

Comment

a fine bike and nice photos there, marvinsc!
              GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Mr. marvinsc,

I knew the early '90s 1100G had a monoshock swingarm. Can I borrow your swingarm and see if it will fit on my bike? I don't know if anyone's ever tried it before. We'll make history! :-D

BassCliff
                Let's not and say We did!
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I believe it could be done I would have to move the battery around. And weld in a box type plate for the bolt to go through to hold the mono shock. But also there is a plate right before the rear tire on the 850s that another bracket could be used to hold the lower portion of the shock with a little more support plate down on the bottom. I'm going for more look then performance and I really wish I had the money to by a crap beater 850 to practice on but I really think i could do it. I can do some amazing things when i put my mind to it. I didn't see any pictures of his bike, where are they?

Shane

Comment

Errrm its been done over here guys so you wont be the first ...sorry :-D

The main problem according to the owner/builder apart from the bit of fabrication is that the gearing is slightly off when using the 11g diff on an 850 dont know more than that at the mo but will try to find out when i run into him again :-D

Comment

Missed it by thaaaat much

Thanks Mr. tone.

Originally posted by tone View Post
                      Errrm its been done over here guys so you wont be the first ...sorry :-D

The main problem according to the owner/builder apart from the bit of fabrication is that the gearing is slightly off when using the 11g diff on an 850 dont know more than that at the mo but will try to find out when i run into him again :-D
                      Oh, you clever Brits! Well, there you go Mr. SDK. With your skills, perhaps it can indeed be done. But it looks like no one here will be making history. 8-[

I would just love to find me a GSX 1100G and skip all the fabrication.

Comment

Working...
                      X