Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalling with a rapid stop

Hey all-
    My 1985 GS550EF project has been running for a while now. Overall I am pretty happy. i tore down the brakes a few weeks ago because the pistons were not moving well at all. Now they are much happier and i have braking power. So, the lingering issue only occurs when I try to stop relatively rapidly. When I do so, even with the clutch pulled in, the bike will stall out. This is when the bike is at full temp and will idle at 1200 RPM or so. Any suggestions? The carbs are clean, are not a problem at all. The bike sat for 7 years but runs well now. It has 10600 miles on the odometer, 400+ put on it in the last month and a half. The fuel tank has been redone and it has a brand new petcock in it. Thanks!
    Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2008, 06:05 PM.

do the rpms drop when you roll to a stop? does the bike move forward with the clutch in and no brakes? could be a sticky clutch.

Comment

The bike does roll with the clutch in, tho the RPM's seem to be tied into the speed of the bike when rolling briefly after pulling the clutch in. I'll do some more analysis of that on the way home tonight.

Comment

See if you have the same symptom if you shift into neutral then make the quick stop. This will rule out the clutch. If you still have the problem you might want to check your float level. If the level is too high a quick stop can cause fuel to splash into the intake stream and kill the bike due to a rich mixture. You can also test this by shutting off the fuel supply to the carbs and riding for a couple minutes before doing the quick stop test.

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

what NARDY said

Fuel level

Comment

Last night I played around with the bike on my way home . It's much easier to conduct rapid stop experiments now that I redid the brakes. I actually have stopping power! So, it just seems to be a problem when the bike is still warming up and is generally ****y. Patience is what the bike needs... Patience from me....

Comment

+1 to Nardy and Paco.

Maybe try checking a spark plug's color after it stalls out, and that could tell you what happened to the fuel mixture when you slosh that fuel around by stopping so fast. Or you can just try changing your float levels to see if it fixes it. I remember my 550 being particularly finicky on float level.

Comment

Working...
              X