1982 1000 kat wiring diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 1000 kat wiring diagram

Yes, before anyone says anything, I searched.

I found a few sources, but nothing specifically for the 82 kat. My dilemma is identifying the front t. sig wires.

Some moron decided to 'ace hardware' the harness, when he could have just been part of this forum (ok I'm sucking up).

Help? Thanks guys.

Should have black/white stripe wires and solid green, from bike side. T-signal side will be black/white stripe (if I remember correctly). Two into one bullet connector in there somewhere, (I believe on the bike side, holding the green/B/W wires) too. You have four connections to make. I'll go home and have a look at my wiring harness for further clarification tonight (currently at work).

Comment

Apprecite the help, not sure what you mean by 'bike' side though.

The rear wires are a given, I've got them. It's just the front wires I'm having trouble with. I've hooked up the back ones which light up, but they wont blink. I think the blinker module isn't getting enough watts pulled through it to make the contacts blink. So I really need to find these wires, thank you.

Someone tried to install a new guage cluster, and cut and spliced alot of stuff to make it work. There should be a law against this!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Escobarclan View Post
        Apprecite the help, not sure what you mean by 'bike' side though.
        Because the signals are removeable from the bike, there is an electrical connection.
        One side of the connection stays with the signals, the other side stays with the bike.
        Guess which one is "bike" side? 8-[

For clues as to which wires, look at the colors of the wires going to the rear signals. There should be similar wires near the front of the bike. If not in the headlight bucket, then probably along the main harness, under the tank.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

On the Kats, the signal wires are up near the headlight connector. And yes, bike side means main wiring harness, whereas turnsignal side are the turnsignals.

Comment

Ok, here's what I got: Up near the headlight connector there are three smaller wires: a pale green one, a solid black one and a black with white stripe. The pale green and solid black terminate in a single bullett connector, female. The black with white stripe terminates in a dual female bullett connector, meaning you can connect two bullet wires into the one connector.
            Connect your two black with white stripe (from the t-signals) into this dual connector, then the remaining wires (from the t-signals), go one each into the solid black and pale green.
            On my bike the black/white stripe dual connector is spliced into the black/white stripe lead that goes into the headlight connector. This could be the work of the PO as mine was in less than pristine condition when I got it. They've worked for me for a year now, so I can only assume it's correct.
            I don't think it really matters which side (left or right) goes into the green or black connectors but it might. If you turn on the left signal, and the right blinks, just swap black/green connections.

If your signals don't blink it could be that they don't draw enough amps to trigger the relay. I had this problem when I tried to use aftermarket indicators on all 4 corners. The fronts are aftermarket while the rears are factory and it works okay for me.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Oh yeah, if you only connected two of the 4 and tried it out, they won't blink. Connect all 4 and they should be ok.

Comment

Thanks Steve & Pankcake.

I feel like an idiot about the 'bike side', good grief.

What's got me is the color from the back t sigs arent the same as the front. I'll connect all 4 with something at the same time & see. Since I dont have any original lights I only connected the rear with soldered 1157 bulbs just to see the blinker work, but it didn't.

But do any of you know where I can get a full wiring diagram for the 82 kat?

Comment

Hi Esco,

Factory service manual would be a good place to look. I ordered one a year and a half ago through my local Suzuki dealership and it's still yet to arrive.

I haven't seen even a Clymers or haynes manual, however I suspect the wiring is the same as a garden variety GS1000 in its many iterations....

Dig the photo in your avatar. You a FRN? F---ing Rail Nut?

Comment

Well, I've got a Clymer's for an 82 750, but it doesn't match alot on the 82 kat.

I'm not a rail nut, but I do work for Kansas City Southern R.R. as a conductor. It's a joke to myself that I have a BNSF pic. I've been trying to e-mail some bike pics from my phone but it isn't working, I'll get them on soon.

I've gone over the whole bike, painted the tank & fender dark metallic blue, took the front cowl off, she looks great, but I can go back original easily. Polished all the alum.

Thanks, Esco

Comment

I tried several times to get on with UP, seems you have to be Jesus' nephew. I even have a degree in railroad operations from the community college and still no dice. I'm too old now to be messing around with the crazy work life they expect from you. But I suppose If I'd gotten on when I originally tried I'd have enough seniority now to hold a decent slot....

Comment

I have the GS1000SZ addition to the factory manual in a pdf, a little less than 4 megs.
                        If somebody wants to host this discreetly I will leave it up a few days. Please don't share my download address with anybody not on this site.
                        Have a great day

Glenn

PM me for the file 1982-gs1000sz.pdf
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2008, 02:07 PM. Reason: remove link

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
                          I don't think it really matters which side (left or right) goes into the green or black connectors but it might.
                          You're kidding, right? :shock:

Of course it makes a difference...one is for RIGHT turns, the other is for LEFT turns.

Looking at the diagram in the manual that ehra posted, it appears to be the same as most other GSs, the Light Green wire goes to the RIGHT signal, the BLACK wire goes to the LEFT signal.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's why I said if they blink the wrong way, swap em around....

Comment

Well, they're hurting real bad for people now, you can apply online for union pacific at www.uprr.com, good luck if you're still interested. I love being a conductor, it's the last job I'll ever have.

Comment

Working...
                              X