'80 1000g rear axel STUCK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 1000g rear axel STUCK

Howdy folks. Bought new tires and in the process of removing the wheels. Have the rear brake caliper removed (to rebuild) along with all other associated hardware. Axel will not push out. Bike is on the center stand, front wheel off and a the rear tire is supported and raised enough that the axel is above the mufflers. Soaked in PB Blaster more than 24 hours, banged on it with a 2lb sledge and a piece of 2x4. Didn't budge.....

Any ideas?

Appreciate it.

Rick

If the splines were frozen, the axle wouldn't seperate from the swingarm.

You might want to pull the boot at the front and remove those bolts. From there you may be able to rig up some sort of puller or take it somewhere. It'll probably be a pain.
    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Ugh.... What would cause that? Any other way to tell if that is the problem?

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rpickle View Post
        Howdy folks. Bought new tires and in the process of removing the wheels. Have the rear brake caliper removed (to rebuild) along with all other associated hardware. Axel will not push out. Bike is on the center stand, front wheel off and a the rear tire is supported and raised enough that the axel is above the mufflers. Soaked in PB Blaster more than 24 hours, banged on it with a 2lb sledge and a piece of 2x4. Didn't budge.....

Any ideas?

Appreciate it.

Rick
        Did you loosen and remove the axle pinch bolt on the brake side of the rear wheel?
        If you haven't removed the cotter pin and axle nut on the shaft side, you might try using a wrench on the axle nut and turn it back and forth in place while someone else pounds on the other end with a round peg to push it out.
        If the bike was working ok before I don't think you have a problem with the splines. I think mine took a little persuasion before sliding out.

Comment

Also, you say you have the rear tire supported so the axle it above the mufflers. Are the shocks still attached? Either way, there might be enough pressure on the axle to prevent removal. Make sure the pinch bolts are loosened and there is not tension on the axle, then try banging it out again. Be careful that you don't hit the threads on the end of the bolt, though. :shock:

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by spchips View Post
            If the splines were frozen, the axle wouldn't seperate from the swingarm.

You might want to pull the boot at the front and remove those bolts. From there you may be able to rig up some sort of puller or take it somewhere. It'll probably be a pain.
            I've been trying to make sense of this comment... Splines don't have anything to do with the axle. Were you thinking of the driveshaft?

Anyway, assuming the pinch bolt is loose and all, put the axle nut on backwards (so the ridges don't get harmed) and screw it on until it's even with the end of the axle. This will help keep the threads from getting boogered up, and if they do get a little boogered, removing the nut and working it back and forth will help clean them up.

Hide the small children, remove any pets, and light a candle to the patron saint of corrosion. Then use a Very Large Punch and give it an almighty, thunderous whack with the hammer. You're not going to do any good with that 2X4 -- the wood absorbs too much of the impact.

Once it's out, I'd replace the wheel bearings if I were you, too. You'll need 2 standard 6303 2RS bearings, available just about anywhere.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks folks.

I was laying in bed last night thinking about how the splines interacted with the axel. By the diagram, it also did not make sense to me either.

The bike was in the middle of some kind of restoration, so I am unaware of any rearend trouble.

There should only be the one pinch bolt, I hope. It was on the right side under the brake caliper.

The shocks are removed. The swingarm is pinned. Having the wheel up is the only way I can get a swing. Well, other than removing the exhaust. I'd like to avoid that.

Mr. Winger, your advice on clearing the women and children from the immediate area is right on the money. I have gained an unfortunate label from working on equipement that "doesn't want to cooperate"!

I have also followed and valued your opinion on tires. I picked up a set of HiMAx. As soon as I get the axel out, I can get them mounted. Yee-ha!

Also, good idea on the wheel bearings (thanks for the part numbers!\\/). Should I go ahead and replace the front wheel bearings as well?

Well, hope to give an another whack at it tonight.

Thanks again.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                I've been trying to make sense of this comment... Splines don't have anything to do with the axle. Were you thinking of the driveshaft?

Sorry, yeah I created the confusion. I was interpreting it as the BIG axle, from where the driveshaft hits the ring/pinion to the wheel, like in a car. Looking back the axle being the rod makes a whole lot more sense.

I have had these stick, and you just need the right size punch (to protect the threads) and a severe beating. I don't know if I ran into it on this, but I know on other things if you beat the area around the cotter pin holes too much they can start to expand. leaving the nut on and backwards helps with this when you are getting it started.
                Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Woo-who! She broke free! I think the PB finally worked in.

Thanks for the support.

One more question Do I need to take the disks off of the wheels for the bike shop to mount the tires?

Thanks again

Rick

Comment

Nice work!

One more question Do I need to take the disks off of the wheels for the bike shop to mount the tires?
                    Mr. rpickle,

The shop that mounts my tires does not require the removal of the rotors. While they are removable, they are part of the assembly that needs to be balanced.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Appreciate it Basscliff. Also, your webpage is pretty cool.

Rick

Comment

Put a light coat of grease on the axel when you reinstall it. I had the same problem with a 77GS750. Ended up damaging the axel threads from hitting it so much, I use my 5 lb hammer. (I had a spare axel)

Comment

Balancing act

Appreciate it Basscliff. Also, your webpage is pretty cool.

Rick
                          Thanks Mr. rpickle! It's kind of a community effort. I'm just the "hunter/gatherer".

Oh, here's what I looked like last summer when I got my tires mounted.

I took off my wheels the night before and had the tires mounted the next morning. Jessie spent the whole night precariously balanced. Now I've got an extra set of wheels. I can have new tires mounted ahead of time. I learned that trick from Mr. dpep. :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                            Put a light coat of grease on the axel when you reinstall it. I had the same problem with a 77GS750. Ended up damaging the axel threads from hitting it so much, I use my 5 lb hammer. (I had a spare axel)
                            Me too And +1 on the spare axle

Comment

Well, I have the luxury of a whole spare bike. But I'm a little weird with it, I'd like to keep the spare as intact as possible.... I ask myself though, "whats the point"?

Appreciate the advise.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X