Decal adhesive removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decal adhesive removal

I have a 1983 Suzuki GS1100L which I just purchased with 10,500 miles. The bike is in excellent condition but I need some advice! There is adhesive residue on the speedometer glass from the 'break-in decal' when it was new. It's been there for 20 years now and I'm sure it baked in the sun too. Any ideas on how to remove it? Is it a glass or plastic lens that covers the speedometer?
    Thanks for the help.
    joe ...

goo be gone

You might try some Goo-Be-Gone. Its great stuff for fresh adhesives and is safe for either plastic or glass (I think its plastic...but not certain). If that doesn't help, Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing) or 80 proof vodka should do the trick. They are tame enough not to harm the plastic or glass...

Comment

A product called Goo Gone will remove just about any gummy substance you can think of. I -think- the lens is plastic so you might put a dab on the edge to see if it will react, though I've never had a problem using this stuff on plastic. Still, you only have one lens, eh?

Comment

There is a product call "Goo Be Gone" that I have used in the past. You might want to check to make sure it is safe on plastic as I believe that the cover is plastic. I was going to suggest "Goof Off" but it says that it could damage plastic so that doesn't seem to be an option. Try Home Depot or Lowes to find it.

Good luck!

Comment

There is also something called De-Solv-It that would probably do it. Wal-Mart carries it.

Comment

Hi Joe. Welcome to the GSR! For removing sticky residue from stickers, on chrome, paint, and glass, I've had good luck with regular ol' WD-40. It shouldn't harm plastic, either.

Comment

Plain old cigarette lighter fluid will do the trick

Comment

Joe,

Watch out......Mikestermike is giving you some bad advice.

You should never let good 80 proof vodka go to waste, which is what he is suggesting you do.
                Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                1982 GS1100E
                1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011
                  Joe,

Watch out......Mikestermike is giving you some bad advice.

You should never let good 80 proof vodka go to waste, which is what he is suggesting you do.
                  I agree, bad advice!

I would use a window cleaner, containing alcohol, to remove the old glue.
                  WD40 would work too.

BTW, the speedo has a plastic lens.

Comment

aaaaaaaahhhhhh Goo-be-gone! good stuff!
                    GY

Comment

pb blaster makes decal removal spray

Comment

Thank you ... everyone ...

Thanks to all ... I really appreciate the suggestions! I tried the Goo-Gone but to no avail. I think the adhesive has baked for so many years that it's almost part of the plastic.
                        Oh well ... guess I'll have to live with it or change the lens.
                        Thanks again to all!
                        joe ...

Comment

Hello, I had paint and other crud stuck to my speedo and tach lenses on the bike I'm rebuilding now so I used heavy duty scratch remover made by slip streamer. I bought this a few years ago from the Suzuki dealer It works great and the lenses look new. Hope you have a success in your quest!

Comment

Sticker

Does anyone know how to remove that miserable sticker on the back fender that tells suggested tire air pressure? It looks impossible to get rid of...........
                            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Check the medicine cabinet and see if the wife has some of that Avon "Skin so Soft". I don't know what it does for skin but it sure does do a great job with adhesive residue (and makes yur bike smell ohhh so good) Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X