Charging problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS Owners in KC

Glad I ran across this thread. Although it looks like Rev's problem has been resolved, I just wanted to point out that there are several knowledgeable GS owners here in KC. Robin can't quit buying and fixing them, and the only way Tim quit cleaning his 650 in his nice garage was to sell it for a newer bike.

My point is, if you need some people in KC who have put some blood, sweat, and tears into a variety of issues on their own GS, we're good people to talk to.

Tim set up a Yahoo group for the KC-GS owners, so we can organize local rides/meets, talk about random bike stuff, and generally BS about things without clogging the forums here.

Check it out if you're interested:

Comment

Thanks, Away Man,

I checked out the group and signed up. For some reason I cannot post anything, but I'll eventually get it worked out. Looking forward to some group riding:-D

Comment

So, should i do the Stator Papers check?

I've been restoring a 1983 Tempter that sat unmoved for 5 years, poorly stored and as I've been doing this, I've had to charge the battery two times because I ran it down. I've been running the bike for a minute or less a time or two each day for two weeks or so. Then, the battery seems worn down and then won't even turn the bike over. A nice 7 hour trickle charge and it's good as new.

Should I do the stator papers check to be sure the generator and other circuits are working, or is it reasonable to say that the bike has not run long enough for a charging to take place and I'm all draining the battery having the headlight and other items on for a few minutes at a time without running the bike?

Thanks in Advance!

Comment

Cooking with electrons

Originally posted by 650BrownDeer View Post
          Should I do the stator papers check...?
          Yes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by 650BrownDeer View Post
            I've been restoring a 1983 Tempter that sat unmoved for 5 years, poorly stored and as I've been doing this, I've had to charge the battery two times because I ran it down. I've been running the bike for a minute or less a time or two each day for two weeks or so. Then, the battery seems worn down and then won't even turn the bike over. A nice 7 hour trickle charge and it's good as new.
            "Running the bike for a minute or less a time or two each day for two weeks."? :shock:
            I thought you said you were trying to restore, not kill the bike.

Seriously, the draw of the starter takes a LOT longer than a minute of running will recuperate. Besides, Short runs like that are absolute MURDER on the oil and the exhaust system. You introduce just a little warmth in the engine, just enough to cause condensation when it cools, but not enough to burn it off next time it runs. Any time you are not going to be riding, whether it's for restoration or winter storage, keep the battery on a charger/maintainer and the key in your pocket. Do not start the engine unless you plan on riding long enough to get it up to full operating temperature. Sitting in the garage idling dies not count for this.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Murder? Murder you say?

No honestly, I do understand what you are saying and was honestly checking to see if that was the case. As I have been dealing with various problems such as a gas guage that was sticky, I've been putting things back in place and then starting it to see that all was in order again. My general intent once all is well is to do exactly as you state. After all, it's more fun to crank it up and ride than to just shut it off!

Comment

Working...
              X