crusing problem??? very fishy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crusing problem??? very fishy

i have a 81 gs1100ex with abotu 26k on it, and i have this problem when iam crusing on the freeway for about 10 miles or more it feels like one or two cyclinders cut out and i cant accelarate it just bogs and holds its speed then the power will cut in and out while i have it wide open, then it feels like something un clogs it self and i have power and accelarates then it will be fine for a few mintues then it cuts out again, it only does this on the freeway when i hold a stedy speed , but i can go hit the back roads reving the crap out of it for hours without any problems and even crusing back roads with out a single problem, just when i hit that freeway it cuts out i have no clue whats going on

Sounds like a petcock problem; not flowing enough gas.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i rebuilt the petcock is there some way to test to see if its flowing properly??? is there like a certain amount thats post to flow??

Comment

Check your carburetor floats both for height, and also to see if they swing freely. One or more of them could be getting "hung up" at steady speeds because the gas consumption is low and gradual.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

the carbs have been apart and cleaned ,they seem to be free, i just noticed the bike was on prime on the petcock the howl time can that cause a problem??

Comment

If everything is sealed properly, no. That being said, the prime position allows free fuel flow at all times, so you're relying on the seal between your needles and seats to stop fuel flow at the proper height at all times, regardless of vacuum level. If you ahve too much gas in the bowls, you could be running rich, wich would hurt your power output, especially if your plugs are fouling. I doubt if it's what's causing your problem, but run the bike for a while with the petcock to "on" and see if it makes any difference.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

i will try it tommarow, yeah it never did this before but yeah iam affraid to drive it far thinking maybe its a ignition problem likes it going to cut out and not come back. but if it was ignition it would do it on the back roads, so you guys think its a carb or fuel problem

Comment

Actually, I'm more inclined to think ignition, but fuel would be easier to verify first.

My GS750 was acting almost identically to your problem, but it was more random, not just at steady speed. It drove my nuts for quite a while, but eventually it cut out in my driveway. I immediately ran a quick test of the ignition components, and found out that one of my coils was reading ultra high resistance, but only when hot. After it cooled down for a bit, it read fine again. I replaced the coil, and everything seems fine now.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:

Comment

thats what confuese me , i went for a ride with a budy of mine and we riding around the back roads for 3+hours 50-100mph all the time, not a single problem then we hopped on the freeway then it cut out a few minutes after wards, its like somebody stuffed a rag in one or more cylinders , when its cut out and bogging i keep the throttle wide open then it cuts in and out then all of a sudden its like somebody took the rag out and runs fine all the power in the world but only for a few mintues then when i go back to cruising it cuts out again, i half tempted to replace the howl iginiton with a dyna system and coils

Comment

Have you checked the resistance on your coils, and examined the connections betwwen the plug boots and wires? A lot of ignition problems originate there.
                    sigpic

SUZUKI:

Comment

ok will check it and repost, thanks for help griffin i wann get this thing fixed by sunday cause i wann take it to the drags which is about 50 miles or so away i want it to make it.

Comment

It's definitely a good idea to check the ignition function while hot, especially if it's cutting out on two cylinders.

Inadequate tank venting can also cause fuel starvation, but it would affect all cylinders.

It's hard to tell from here which problem you have.

In any case, it can't hurt to make sure the gas cap is venting properly, and it only takes a few minutes. Just turn it upside down on a clean, well-lit surface, take out the screws, and clean out any deposits you find. Make notes so you get the spring and check ball back in the right places.

In chilly, humid weather some bikes can also experience carb icing after long periods of steady-state throttle. I don't know if this happens to GSs very much, and we don't know what your weather has been like.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Only help I can offer is to be sure the throttle cable isn't hanging up on something. Verify spark in all holes, verify steady fuel flow, then check coils. Particularly when hot. Don't know if that will help.

Good luck.

Comment

This is totally a dis-function of the EGR system... Surging while at cruising speeds.

Just kidding... Try adjusting the choke out a bit when she stumbles on you to see if it makes any difference or not.

If it comes back to life with choke, you are starved... if no matter where you have the choke and it's stumbling then it's likely to be a spark problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kurt12345 View Post
                              ok will check it and repost, thanks for help griffin i wann get this thing fixed by sunday cause i wann take it to the drags which is about 50 miles or so away i want it to make it.
                              Post up some vids or links to vids !

Comment

Working...
                              X