No announcement yet.

crusing problem??? very fishy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i had a problem similar to that last summer. mine ended up being the vacuum hose was getting kinked and must of collapsed when i was hitting the gas (just a guess?) but i ened up putting one of those springs like on bike bandit if you look there is a spring that goes over the fuel line to keep it from kinking, i placed one of those over the vacuum hose and never had a problem again. not sure if your problem could be like mine, but it worked for me.

Comment

well i went for a ride today went to work its about 15 miles not a problem, on the way back home right when i got off the exit it cut out, it sounds like 2 cyclinders are running i didnt have time to check the coils had to take off, but thanks for all your guys hints, i dont think i can take a video with my camera dont know how to mount it, well anyways i got a good starting point more stuff to try tommarow

Comment

I've had very similliar problems with my 550. Keep us posted on what you find out in case I have the same problems after the valve adjustment, carb rebuild, and petcock replacement.

Comment

I had some issues with a cylinder cutting out, turned out the wire was falling off the coil. I put it back on better and it's been doing fine since then.

As far as what's causing it goes, see if you can find out which cylinders are cutting out. If it's either the center two or the outer two, it's much more likely to be a coil than if it's a different set.

Comment

longshot, but what they hey.

I had surging/power issues on my bike. Someone here said the drain lines on the carbs were too long, causing the wind to change the carb vacuum values.

I thought they were bananas, but I trimmed them and tucked them behind the engine and out of the wind... and the problem went away.

Perhaps you are having a similar issue?

Comment

Worth a try just to eliminate something ---check the gas cap vent

Comment

I had a similar problem with a CX500 a few years back. Drove me nuts, bike would run fine but every so often for no reason lost power in one pot. I put up with it for a while, till it did it one day while I was overtaking a car, traffic coming the other way but plenty of room, unless the bike suddenly loses power !. A lesson learnt about fixing problems asp. Anyway, after much elimination and pulling of hair, turned out to be a spark plug. A mechanic I know said its not unusual for a plug to function fine at lower speeds but break down at higher speeds. Not exactly the same symptoms as yours a guess, but might be worth changing plugs.
                "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
                1978 GS750
                1979 GS750 chop
                1979 GS550
                2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                1992 XV750 Virago
                2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Working...
                X