Brake fluid resistant paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake fluid resistant paint?

I want to paint the front master cylinder on my '83 GS1100E (so Bert will stop harassing me about it). I've done a lot of research but haven't found any paint that is resistant to glycol-based brake fluid. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Personally, I think I would concern myself with sealing up the brake fluid leak instead of finding paint that would resist it. :shock:

Any time I have had to paint a m/c, I just masked off stuff that I did not want painted, then hit it with the Krylon, usually satin black.

Last edited by Steve; 02-28-2008, 01:49 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

POR sells a paint for brake calipers. Their paints are pretty tough in general so it may be worth a look.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Personally, I think I would concern myself with sealing up the brake fluid leak instead of finding paint that would resist it. :shock:

Any time I have had to paint a m/c, I just masked off stuff that I did not want painted, then hit it with the Krylon, usually satin black.

There is no leak. If I had a leak I would have posted about how to seal the leak....................

Let me rephrase: "After 25 years of owning this bike and occasionally removing the master cylinder (which does not leak) cap to add fluid or bleed the brakes, the small amounts of brake fluid that have dripped onto the master cylinder, which does not leak, have eated the paint away. I want to repaint the master cylinder, which does not leak, so Bert will stop harassing me about it. I've done a lot of research but haven't found any paint that is resistant to glycol-based brake fluid. Anyone have any tips?"

By the way, I'm pretty sure Krylon is not brake fluid resistant.....................

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          POR sells a paint for brake calipers. Their paints are pretty tough in general so it may be worth a look.
          Nessism,

Thank you for a relevant and helpful suggestion! Have I mentioned that my master cylinder does not leak? :-D

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

PM sent......

Comment

Brake caliper paint - sold in car parts stores - is about the best (after powdercoating).
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                Nessism,

Thank you for a relevant and helpful suggestion! Have I mentioned that my master cylinder does not leak? :-D

Joe
                Oh, I don't know, Joe, does it, or not??? Are you sure this isn't another (insert your favorite political party here.......) cover-up of one sort or another that you're just trying to hide?????:-D\\/

Comment

Joe, I used the VHT brake caliper spray paint in the satin black color on my 1100's rear caliper and have been happy with it. The directions call for baking @ 200 degrees for one hour after painting to harden the finish but I was lazy and just masked it off and shot it and it turned out pretty good. I think the OEM color was a little more flat black but as they say you can't see it from my house. Tim

Oh I forgot, I have ridden with you and I never saw your master cylinder leaking:-D
                  Last edited by twr1776; 02-28-2008, 02:50 PM.
                  82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                  81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                  83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                  06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                  AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

By the way, I'm pretty sure Krylon is not brake fluid resistant.....................
                    I don't know that it's brake fluid resistant, either, because her master cylinder doesn't leak either. ;-)

And ... if Bert is that concerned about how your master cylinder looks, tell him to paint it. :shock:

\\/
                    sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I used caliper paint i found at Autozone, etc. on both the calipers and MC. Out of curiosity, i did a bit of a test, just to see, and have found, while the caliper paint works well for brief exposure to the fluid, any fluid left sitting on there for an extended amount of time will do the same it does to other paints. However, other paints seem to be instantly damaged, so i guess it would be good if you were concerned about fluid while bleeding, or, i dunno...had a small leak* :-D

Comment

Howzabout taking the offending brake parts to a blaster and have them blasted with walnut shell media? They'll be nice and shiny and impervious to brake fluid then!

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                          Howzabout taking the offending brake parts to a blaster and have them blasted with walnut shell media? They'll be nice and shiny and impervious to brake fluid then!
                          i second that :-D

or you can powder coat it - it's more resistant than any paint, i think
                          GS850GT

Comment

Do you want to paint the master cylinder or the calipers? If I am not mistaken, correct me please if I am wrong I am not too good with the terminology yet, the master cylinder is the handle bar attachment and the calipers are what connects down by the wheel. Am I right? I can see painting the calipers, but I think it would be really hard to paint the MC.

Just my 2 cents.

Cory

Comment

Let's be clear

Let me rephrase: "After 25 years of owning this bike and occasionally removing the master cylinder (which does not leak) cap to add fluid or bleed the brakes, the small amounts of brake fluid that have dripped onto the master cylinder, which does not leak, have eated the paint away. I want to repaint the master cylinder, which does not leak, so Bert will stop harassing me about it. I've done a lot of research but haven't found any paint that is resistant to glycol-based brake fluid. Anyone have any tips?"
                              Can you be a bit more precise?

Now that's funny right there.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X