adjusting valves. how cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adjusting valves. how cold?

i searched but didn't see any answer to this. i live in ohio, and have been working on my bike for the winter :-D, gettin it ready for spring/summer/fall again, and wanted to check the valve clearances. i know it is supposed to be cold (engine). but the temperature here has been still around 30, i think this weekend should be around 40's would that make a difference if it is that cold to which end of the tolerance i would want to adjust them to? or should i wait till it is near 60's/70's?

'81 GS750L (TSCC engine)

You'll be fine adjusting your clearances at those sort of temperatures.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

By 'cold', they mean room temperature.

Even if you only start the bike to move it to the other side of the garage to do your valve adjustment, wait several hours for it to cool down.
      General rule of thumb is to not run the engine for at least 8 hours.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
        You'll be fine adjusting your clearances at those sort of temperatures.
        I'd agree, the temperature gradient between a hot engine (say 300°F - I'm guessing here) and room temp (say 70°F) is much greater than the difference between room temp and cold garage (at 40°F).

Course, adjusting valves at 40° doesn't sound fun, but a little electric space heater would handle any comfort issues (standard flammables warning applies).

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
          Course, adjusting valves at 40° doesn't sound fun, but a little electric space heater would handle any comfort issues (standard flammables warning applies).
          What? 40 degrees cold? You Arizona guys are spoiled!
          I might use my garage Reddy kerosene heater when it drops below 15-20 degrees!
          Then it brings the garage temp up to a balmy 35 degrees...and I then have to take my coat off because it's so warm!
          4-8" of more snow coming tomorrow night. I checked the official snowfall this year around here and it's up over 100". Snowmobiling is not as much fun as the bike but it'll due for now.

Comment

40 sounded pretty good to me, this morning when i woke up for work it was -5 out there... so 40 is like a heat wave..

snowmobiles didn't really get much use this year... we couldn't have gotten more than 40" this whole winter. like 2 weeks ago i remember them saying for mid feb. we had 32" total for the season. so i agree they are not as much fun as the bike!

Comment

overnight

Best is to let it stay overnight and do it the next day. This should be good enough

Comment

Originally posted by anikmankar View Post
                Best is to let it stay overnight and do it the next day. This should be good enough
                I second that.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Perhaps we should start a weather forum. BTW, whats a "snowmobile" \\/? Probably won't get over 74 here tomorrow. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2008, 01:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                  X