77 750 AND CV CARBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 750 AND CV CARBS

I have a 77 gs 750 and I want to convert my radial mechanical slide carbs for vacume slide type!! can this be done kinda easily?? The reason is im tired of my arm and wrist being tired from holding the throttle open.. I also get blisters and hate to have to "set up" to open the throttle all the way. my carbs are tip top right now so its not a matter of performance.Allthough if there is a perf benifit thats ok too. Iv wanted to do this for years and now i have this forum..... Ed

As long as you can get them mounted there's no reason they won't work for you. If you can't get them to mount to your stock airbox you'll have to go the pod and jet kit route.

Comment

It would not be a direct bolt on. It would require custom made intake adapters, modifying the air box, and no real advantage because of the size of the intake on the cylinder head. I would sugest cleaning & lubing the cables and linkage. Try a throtle rocker or some type of cruse control.
      Or Gel type gloves

Comment

Re: 77 750 AND CV CARBS

The only way I can think of that would fall within "easily" would be if you can find a set of 26mm CV carbs that will mate directly to your intakes and airbox. As for tired wrists, I changed out the throttle return springs on my 79 750 and opening the throttle takes very little pressure. I'm not sure what you mean by having to "set up" to open the throttle all the way. The response on my VM carbs is almost instant and very crisp.

Earl

Originally posted by MR.ED
        I have a 77 gs 750 and I want to convert my radial mechanical slide carbs for vacume slide type!! can this be done kinda easily?? The reason is im tired of my arm and wrist being tired from holding the throttle open.. I also get blisters and hate to have to "set up" to open the throttle all the way. my carbs are tip top right now so its not a matter of performance.Allthough if there is a perf benifit thats ok too. Iv wanted to do this for years and now i have this forum..... Ed
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I have done all i can such as perfect carbs new throttle cables , lighter throttle spring, different grips, lubing the twist throttle all to find no happiness.I dont mind the pod and j/k route and i am determined to do this even if theres no performance gain. DAMN those expensive rubber intakes what do the TSCC bikes use for intakes??? any chance you guys and gals know someone who has a set for sale sort of cheap pleeeeeeeeeeeaase!!!!

Comment

any idea where i can get me a set of those 26 CV's. and by set up i mean rotate my hand further foward on the grip so i can open the throttle all the way cause it rotates so far. See im a little guy 5 foot 4 and 135 pounds with equally little hands !! I have gained lots of muscle on this bike...

Comment

I have a 79 750E with 26mm VM carbs and I have an 81 750E with BS32mm CV carbs. The 79 model has rubber flanged induction tubes that bolt flat to the cylinder head. The 81 750 uses machined aluminum induction spigots that are integral to the cylinder head. The carbs on this engine are connected with a short section of plain hose. You will have to have and induction tube that has a flange to fit your cylinder head. Your intake is 26 mm, so you certainly cannot fit a 32 mm carb throat into a 26 mm tube. Youre not going to be able to use a set of CV carbs from a 750 unless you can custom fabricate a set of increasing taper induction tubes on the intake side of the carbs and a decreasing taper on the airbox side.
              I doubt there is going to be any performance gain. I think the only reasonable way would be to look for a set of 26mm CV's

Earl

I have done all i can such as perfect carbs new throttle cables , lighter throttle spring, different grips, lubing the twist throttle all to find no happiness.I dont mind the pod and j/k route and i am determined to do this even if theres no performance gain. DAMN those expensive rubber intakes what do the TSCC bikes use for intakes??? any chance you guys and gals know someone who has a set for sale sort of cheap pleeeeeeeeeeeaase!!!!

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

E bay would probably be the best bet. I came across a set a while back and I am guessing they were from a 550E.....
                Unfortunately, having big hands or small hands doesnt have any effect on the amount of rotation the throttle requires. You could fabricate a bellcrank to install in your throttle linkage to alter the mechanical advantage yielding more throttle arm movement with less wrist twist. The problem there is that increasing the throw will increase required force at the grip. I just checked the throttle rotation on my 79 750 and from closed to full open, the rotation is only 90 deg. How much is yours?

Earl

any idea where i can get me a set of those 26 CV's. and by set up i mean rotate my hand further foward on the grip so i can open the throttle all the way cause it rotates so far. See im a little guy 5 foot 4 and 135 pounds with equally little hands !! I have gained lots of muscle on this bike...

Comment

My rotation is a good bit more than 90 deg more like 110 or 120 deg for me. around 1/3 turn i guess. Yes the cables are adjusted so the slides open imediatly. I know the question was comin. I have found other strange and different things in this bike before!!!!!

Comment

You might try a throttle/grip from a different make of bike. I am guessing there is some variance on diameters. I'm guessing you would need to change the complete assembly.

Earl

My rotation is a good bit more than 90 deg more like 110 or 120 deg for me. around 1/3 turn i guess. Yes the cables are adjusted so the slides open imediatly. I know the question was comin. I have found other strange and different things in this bike before!!!!!

Comment

You can get quick turn racing throttles that require a minimum of rotation before the throttle is pegged.

Comment

Problem isss all that stuff makes it even haarder to turn the throttle. I have checked into almost every option over the past few years. I found i either need cv carbs on this engine or a newer 1100+ engine that will except the cv carbs!! I guess ill keep searchin---- Thanks ----Ed

Comment

Mr Ed there is a set on ebay right now for an 81 750 They look in pretty good shape from the photo. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...410826106&rd=1

Comment

DON'T put 26mm CV carbs on your engine!! You will lose lots of power.
                            The choke sizes are not directly comparable like that. The equivalent size to a 26mm Side carb would be about a 32mm CV carb.

The reason for this is that the CV type has a restriction in the choke in the form of the butterfly.

Hence why when a bike changes from slide to CV carbs for a new model year, the choke size is always much bigger e.g. GS1000 VM28mm slide to BS34mm CV, GS550 VM26mm slide to BS32mm CV.

Due to your inlet ports being matched to your 26mm slide carbs, there is no easy way for you to change to CV carbs.

Good luck.

Comment

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL THE REPLYS AND INFO. I WILL CONCIDER ALL OF IT IN MY QUEST FOR THROTTLE HAPINESS

Comment

Working...
                              X