Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, still having a chain length problem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, still having a chain length problem..

So after consulting the hive, ive decided to stick with the 630 set up. One problem, im having a hell of a time getting an accurate calculation on the length of chain im going to need to order. Ive tried various online calculators (most of which, while ive entered the pitch and what not of the 630 design, and space between center of the sprockets, keep giving me a rediculously low number that is obviously not accurate, maybe they were for a bike)

here's the bike

77 GS750B

Added bonus math
    GS1100 swingarm conversion.

Anyone lend me a hand?
    THANKS!

TCK

Can't you just overcompensate & then take a few links out if necessary or is that not possible with one of these chains?

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Can't you just overcompensate & then take a few links out if necessary or is that not possible with one of these chains?

Completely possible, i just need to know whats going to be long enough to give me those extra links to take out.

Comment

You still have your stock swingarm ?

Should be able to measure the difference in the lengths right ?

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Completely possible, i just need to know whats going to be long enough to give me those extra links to take out.

Comment

yeah got a couple of stock arms. The alu swinger adds roughly two inches. bout 27 inches center to center on the sprockets (this is based off what Dardoonk said on his, as i dont have the motor in the bike to actually measure myself)

Comment

Stock chain 96 links ?

Comment

yup
              630x96

Comment

By chance, was that "rediculously low number" about half of what you expected?
                Might have to include the other side of the chain, too. 8-[

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

630 X 96 is 96 links @ 6/8ths, or 3/4 inches per link, ergo; 96 X .750 = 72" of chain.
                  530 X 115 is 115 links @ 5/8ths, or .625, ergo; 115 X .625 = 71.875" inches of chain
                  Get the relationship? Find out how many inches(roughly) you need, and divide by .625(530 chain link length) and you'll have the amount of 530 links to have enough chain.

Comment

I assume that the only other factors are the size of sprockets .. do you know those yet ?

Originally posted by hp1000s View Post
                    630 X 96 is 96 links @ 6/8ths, or 3/4 inches per link, ergo; 96 X .750 = 72" of chain.
                    530 X 115 is 115 links @ 5/8ths, or .625, ergo; 115 X .625 = 71.875" inches of chain
                    Get the relationship? Find out how many inches(roughly) you need, and divide by .625(530 chain link length) and you'll have the amount of 530 links to have enough chain.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      So after consulting the hive, ive decided to stick with the 630 set up. One problem, im having a hell of a time getting an accurate calculation on the length of chain im going to need to order. Ive tried various online calculators (most of which, while ive entered the pitch and what not of the 630 design, and space between center of the sprockets, keep giving me a rediculously low number that is obviously not accurate, maybe they were for a bike)
                      Kid,

Which calculators did you try? Chain length is a simple thing to work out, you should not be getting goofy numbers as long as your dimensions are correct. Maybe try the calculations for the stock set up first, to be sure it works, then change the numbers for your new set up.

Try this one, it just gave me ballpark numbers from a quick test:

Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X