Oil Drain Plug Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Drain Plug Leak

I'm almost too embarassed to post this, it involves 2 pretty stupid mistakes. First, I was changing the oil/filter & had most of a quart, and a 5 quart jug. So, I put the remains of the quart in, & proceeded to use the jug to overfill the engine. Then I figure I'd just pull the drain plug and let enough oil out to get it close to the correct level. Well, in my haste to get the drain plug back in before ALL the oil ran out I think I buggered up the threads. The plug seemed to get tight, but it had that "almost" stripped feel to it.

I always put newspaper under the bike after I have done any job that may create a leak & leave it overnight to make sure everything is OK. It's been too cold to ride, so I let it sit for the last few days. When I finally went out to the garage there was oil on the newspaper. Checked the plug, & sure enough there was a drop forming. I have to assume that the threads are stripped.

The leak is slow enough that I'm not worried about running out of oil. I've looked through the archives for the fix. I'm probably going to try the oversized self-tapping plug. Should I drain the oil & fix this thing before I ride, or deal with it at the next oil change? I don't like the idea of wasting 4 quarts of oil, but I don't want the plug to work it's way loose on the road either.

Also, this is a 1980 GS850G. Anyone know the part number for the oversized drain plug that fits?

Originally posted by trdhrdr007 View Post
    I'm almost too embarassed to post this, it involves 2 pretty stupid mistakes. First, I was changing the oil/filter & had most of a quart, and a 5 quart jug. So, I put the remains of the quart in, & proceeded to use the jug to overfill the engine. Then I figure I'd just pull the drain plug and let enough oil out to get it close to the correct level. Well, in my haste to get the drain plug back in before ALL the oil ran out I think I buggered up the threads. The plug seemed to get tight, but it had that "almost" stripped feel to it.

I always put newspaper under the bike after I have done any job that may create a leak & leave it overnight to make sure everything is OK. It's been too cold to ride, so I let it sit for the last few days. When I finally went out to the garage there was oil on the newspaper. Checked the plug, & sure enough there was a drop forming. I have to assume that the threads are stripped.

The leak is slow enough that I'm not worried about running out of oil. I've looked through the archives for the fix. I'm probably going to try the oversized self-tapping plug. Should I drain the oil & fix this thing before I ride, or deal with it at the next oil change? I don't like the idea of wasting 4 quarts of oil, but I don't want the plug to work it's way loose on the road either.

Also, this is a 1980 GS850G. Anyone know the part number for the oversized drain plug that fits?
    Had EXACTLY the same problem on EXACTLY the same bike last season. I took the drain plug to the NAPA store here in Town and they sold Me a 1 Oversize self tapping Plug. After installing it there was still a very slow seep so I put a Rubber seal behind the threads and Problem solved. Obviously, the Proper fix is to Remove the Oil Pan and have it Heli Coiled at a machine shop but that is an Off season project. If your leak is very slow, I would wait until the next Oil change to address the issue.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Ya know, I have to admit to this one as well.

I found a rubber, expandable oil drain plug that had a little tool to stretch the plug and then when it was in the drain hole you would release the tool and the plug would compress in the hole. I had that thing in there for five years, multiple oil changes and never a leak until I let the dealer/ shop have it for something and without even asking me they did the heli-coil thing for about $100.
      Last edited by bonanzadave; 02-29-2008, 01:51 PM.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Sounds like you cross threaded it, so now the washer is at an angle and not sealing. Try removing it, and re starting it carefully, correctly. Might work.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The normal thread size is 14mm diameter X 1.25 pitch, same as the spark plugs.

When I built my GS850 engine, I put in a solid steel insert intended for repairing spark plug holes. Works like a charm, the insert stays in, and there are no fragile aluminum threads to worry about.

Helicoils are low-rent crap -- they work OK sometimes, or for a while, but the helicoil will eventually come out along with the drain (or spark) plug. There are far better thread inserts available.

In your situation, I'd hit up NAPA for an oversize plug and a sealing washer. Sometime next winter (or never...), you might pull the exhaust so you can take the pan off and get an insert installed.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I've got a minor leak from mine, although it's really slowed down recently - no clue why, my oil level has stayed good. I was seeing about a 3" circle on the driveway every night. Hasn't been an issue though, it burns some oil but I only have to add any maybe every third tank of gas.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              Ya know, I have to admit to this one as well.

I found a rubber, expandable oil drain plug that had a little tool to stretch the plug and then when it was in the drain hole you would release the tool and the plug would compress in the hole. I had that thing in there for five years, multiple oil changes and never a leak until I let the dealer/ shop have it for something and without even asking me the did the heli-coil thing for about $100.

I used one of those rubber plugs for years in a car as well. They work perfectly well!
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

When I built my GS850 engine, I put in a solid steel insert intended for repairing spark plug holes. Works like a charm, the insert stays in, and there are no fragile aluminum threads to worry about.
                I tried this early this winter when my plug stripped on my 750. But the tap that come with the kit went in crooked, and so pug is not square with the surface, and I am sure it will not seal. So I am going to weld the hole shut and start over. Next time I will put the tap in a drill press and the pan on the drill press table to keep things square, and turn by hand to get it started straight.

It seems like the drain plug is a weak area on the GS.

Greg O

Comment

Working...
                X