Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gs 450L No spark, No lights. No electrical.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 450L No spark, No lights. No electrical.

Hi,

Here are the facts.
    This is a Gs 1980 450 l series. This bike was running last year. The owner I bought it from told me all it needed was a throttle cable. He told me when it did run, it would not give him rpms or accleration. He thought this might be due to a bad voltage regulator he called it a cvi?. I know the bike has been sitting out in the winter this last year. (I drove by this bike and saw it sitting in the snow, as I went back and forth to work.) I brought it home tonight, to my house and proceeded to find out what it would need to get running. I put in a good battery, checked the fuse, made sure all of the contacts where in place and holding solidily. I could not get any electrics to work at all. I thought maybe it was a bad switch so I took a look it. No luck. I am going to be getting a manual on ebay if I am the high bidder. This bike is in fantastic shape as far as the chrome and after market accessories are concerned. I was wonderng if any of you users would know of any things that might make the bike not indicate that it is receiving any electrical current. The lights and the signals should work unless the switch is bad. If you have any ideas what else could cause it not to receive any juice, then please feel free to offer your advise. I have only been used to points on my gs 550. So if electronic ignitions need better attention, then I beleive I am in the right area to learn from this group.
    btw is there a device I can purchase that would be alot easier to measure or indicate if a certain wire is getting juice, than a volt meter?

thnks

cyg

Get a test light at any auto parts or hardware store. That is a nice inexpensive tool that will qwick indication of voltage.
    Test the power at the main fuse first. Should be power on both sides of the fuse. Power on one side means a bad fuse, no power means a bad connection or wire to the battery.
    If the main is ok, turn on the key and check both sides of the other fuses. if there is no power going to the fuses, then it's the ignition switch or one of its wires.

Steve

Comment

a simple test : put the relay of the starter in "short circuit" (bypass ?)

you have 2 big bolds : one from the battery, one to the starter => those are the "main"
      another is on positive and come from the starter button, the last is the groud => those are for the relay itself

put a wire 1 second on the 2 big bolds => you must hear the starter running

how are the indicator lights ? (oil and neutral)

V++

Comment

Thanks,

I will pick up the light testing tool at work today.

No indicators, nota thing acutally. So I will work from the fuse on down.

I will post if I find what is causing the problems. I should at least see a neutral and oil light if anything. My 550 at least shows me that.

Comment

if you jump the starter relay make sure the bike is in neutral or off the ground. You don't want it rolling forward and falling on your car. Same goes when doing this to a car...except it will run you over.

Steve

Comment

Ok my update

I was able to track down what was causing my electric problems. It was a bad kill switch. So now lights are on and with the use of that new device one of you mentioned, (I really like that light thing) I now have power to the starter coil before and after the contacts. Here is where I am, at at the moment. I used a large amp wire to jump the stumpy leads of the starter coil thing. This comes right off of the battery and attaches to the starter. I can get the bike to now turn over. The key switch works, but there are not indications of where the switch should be. It looks like it has three settings. One is for park, (tail light on), One is neutral and headlight and turn signals. The other I don't have a clue. Well

I don't have any spark to the spark plug. I did the ground to engine block test and find it is sparkless, both sides. So can the cdi cause this? Or what else direction do you guys think I can take? I am still bidding on the manual. I hope it aint the cdi that baby will cost me 350 bucks to get a new one. Could it be the kill switch? I did notice that their is a prong that seems to ground out on the handle bars. My gs 550 does not have this type of ground for the handle bars. Well I am open to suggestions. I contacted some service areas, I am turning to you guys for any help.
            cyg

Comment

Working...
            X