Dont Think Its Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont Think Its Working

I am currently trying to remove the rust from the inside of my tank using electrolysis. I hooked it up yesterday with my 12v 10amp battery charger. I'm not really sure what i'm supposed to see but i don't think it's working because i'm not seeing anything happening. The charger reads that it its pulling 0amps and i dont think that is right either so maybe i just don't have a good enough conection to the tank with the negative lead. Could anyone tell me what i am supposed to see when it is working correctly and how many amps it should be pulling please?

Can you tell us your process, because when I have tried it you know right away that its working. Bubbles form in the liquid! and you can see the direction. Practice in a bucket with some junk, and you'll see.

Here is some light reading on the subject:-D

Good Luck, Steve

Comment

I havent started the process myself, as i CANNOT find any place that sells "Washing Soda" Ive been to Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, SuperWalmart, all the local groceries...no luck. Anyone know where to purchase this stuff??

Comment

found this in the google place

You can call arm and hammer, 1-800-524-1328 (it is a recording ) they will ask for your zip code, when you give it to them, they will give you a list of stores in your area that has sold it in the last 90 days. Happy Shopping......

I have bought Arm & Hammer washing soda and borax and all the other items I need for homemade laundry soap at Wal-Mart in the laundry section.

You can buy Sodium Carbonate (aka Washing soda, aka Laundry Soda)in any pool store. Look for PH increaser and serveral brands are 100% sodium carbonate also called soda ash

Or my favorite place AMAZON.COM

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        I havent started the process myself, as i CANNOT find any place that sells "Washing Soda" Ive been to Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, SuperWalmart, all the local groceries...no luck. Anyone know where to purchase this stuff??
        Last edited by Guest; 02-29-2008, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Maybe not quite as effective, but Baking Soda works fine, availble at your supermarket.

Comment

I am having similar problems, but my problems are the battery charger has an automatic shut-off when the battery is charged. It again turns on when the battery is low again. This is nice for battery maintenance, but not for this particular process. The solution give the charger a charged feeling therefore shutting it off. Maybe your charger has the feature as well. Try finding a low 2amp always on charger and see if that works. Also like stated above regular baking soda works well, not as good but you if you can't find the other it works. I found my washing baking soda in the clothes washing section at Wal-Mart. It is in a box that looks like the little arm and hammer but bigger, the size of a regular laundry detergent box.

Let me know if this helps, or if you have other questions.

Cory

Comment

Electricians, check your shorts!

Mr. GSJake,

Did you make sure your sacrificial anode is not touching anywhere inside the tank?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Well, it's generally found in the laundry section of your grocery store. Arm & Hammer makes "Super Washing Soda" which I have seen everywhere.
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

i got my washing powder at Kroger. the older cheaper less smart battery chargers work better. they aren't smart enough to realize that you aren't charging a battery. if you have a 2amp option, use that and be patient. you should be seeing small bubbles. if it is showing charge running through it and you don't see bubbles, the sacrificial annode could be dirty. if so, pull it out and scrub it off with a wire brush. you will probably need to do that every 6-8 hours....cc

Comment

If you haven't looked at this already, might be worth it..

Good luck!

R

Comment

Thanks for that info guys. Apparently no one knows wtf washing soda is around here. I got blank looks and are you on drugs looks. I'll have a look at the Kroger down the road. I DID pick up some baking soda, but i think im going to run into the same probs others are having with my to smart for you charger. Stoopid technology...lol

Comment

the way i'm doing it is that i first filled the tank with the washing solution and water all the way till it was overflowing when i put the anode in. and i checked to make sure the anode was not touching any part of the tank. i drilled a hole through a hockey puck to put the anode through to make sure it would not lean against anything. then i hooked the positive end of my battery charger to the anode and the negative end to my tank on a place where i found a little bit of bare metal. and my battery charger is an older one that does not turn off until it is unpluged so that can't be the problem. and i'm sure it's not working since someone here said it will start bubbling right away. mine did nothing. Thanks everyone for their responses. Has anyone ever heard of evaporust and if they have does it work. i ordered a gallon of it. i really hope it will works because it is starting to get close to ridding weather which here it starts at around 40 degrees. (yeah warm i know)

Comment

I've used Evaporust on lots of smaller parts (bolts, brackets, etc.) and it does indeed work as advertised. Good stuff.

It's also very gentle to hands, plastic parts, other metals, etc., it doesn't smell bad, and the solution and residue aren't deadly toxic.

I found it at an auto parts store, for about $7 a quart. They also had gallon jugs.

It could get expensive to buy enough Evapo-rust to immerse a gas tank, although it would work great without damaging the paint. Maybe you could get a couple of gallons and dump them in, seal the tank openings somehow, and spend a couple of days placing the tank in different positions to cover all the inside areas. Evapo-rust won't damage the metal no matter how long you leave it on. It's probably what I would try if I wanted to preserve the original paint.

You also need to make sure your rusty parts are fairly clean -- Evapo-Rust isn't a solvent, so greasy or dirty areas won't get de-rusted.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Kreemed my gas tank last fall. I don't remember if it was the first solution of the 3 part or maybe the 2nd that absolutely ate all the rust. Looks like a shiny new tank afterwards. It WILL eat paint. Regardless, if you're derusting the inside of the tank, it will rust again if it's not coated.

Comment

Working...
                            X